[electronic classical] s08m2 preview (mp3)

Started by uncloned, February 08, 2009, 01:37:58

Previous topic - Next topic

uncloned

http://clones.soonlabel.com/mp3/s08pre-move2.mp3

I'm working on sonata 08 slowly. I thought it would be fun to throw a few soft synths at it.

psishock

QuoteI thought it would be fun to throw a few soft synths at it.
Gut idea indeed, they gave a much deeper charm to the song. The "ha" vocals are catchy. :D
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

uncloned

Thanks for the listen Psi!

This one came from a conversation on the microtonal tuning list discussing how a fully diminished 7th (B D F A flat) worked for modulations because it was ambiguous  as to which scale it belonged in. This means certain tuning systems can't use it like the normal 12-TET.

My idea was to write a piece that used that type of chord almost exclusively but still had a resting point (or tonal center).

psishock

Well, the experiment was successful! ^^
It was really an enjoying experience listening to it, no "false" notes were detected with my brain in this case.
I'm experimenting currently with adding some hidden frequencies in the given sound, it can have an enhanced effect to the listener if it's not overdone.

uncloned

would that be along the lines of playing notes besides those in the main chord quietly, just enough to color the foreground but not be heard as independent?

psishock

Nope. It means, adding frequencies to the given "clear" sound. For example you got your softsynth sound, imagine that you are adding a few more offtune oscillators to it in some different range, and check the results. I've noticed this "trick" a first time in the distortion effects, as if they added some random "background" frequencies to the given note (aside from soft clipping) that sounded great to me. Only have to be careful to keep them in background because they can easily ruin the sound, as i've said.

uncloned

ok, I think I understand.

In effect you are messing with the harmonics - the sound spectrum of your softsynth output?

psishock

Correct.
I'm sometimes having trouble to find the right word for the cases. Messing with (dynamically changing) harmonics is the right word for this. Using custom built envelopes to bring them out over the given time.

Sam_Zen

take a guitar, having a distortion unit, play a note plus the fifth higher. A new harmonic is made in the region below the two, adding much more 'body' to the sound.
You succeeded indeed, Clones, very strong sounds.

uncloned

Sam and Psi,

A long time ago I sat right in front of my Gibson 100 watt 2x12 inch speakers turned all the way up (yes they made amps too) with my stock '77 Fender stratocastor - my intent was to play with feedback, which I did along with hurting my hearing.

What I noticed that by accident I hit a harmonic on a G string when I was holding and trying to feedback on an A at the 7th fret on the D string. It was unintentional o it was quiet - but it sounded like Jimi Hendrix - the harmonic "colored" the note I was after.

So yes, I agree with all of this - and no - its damn hard to do that so I haven't made it a practice of mine with guitar. - I just know the phenomenon exists.

psishock

I'm aware that the phenomenon exist with distortion, i am already using it (not on guitars) from longer time now (because i also like the clipped distortion sound, naturally together with the extra harmonics), but i am trying to make the process controlled and possibly more widely expanded at the moment.

Harbinger

Notes as i'm listening:

Gotta love the artificial Female singer. A premonition that one day there will be android singers that can emulate the human voice nearly perfectly. Very "Haydn meets BladeRunner" (Bladerunner: American movie starring Harrison Ford, in which the theme is about future androids that regret not being really human).

uncloned

Thanks for the listen and comment Harbinger!

Hayden though? not too chromatic and diminished for him?

Harbinger

Haydn in the structure not in the sound... 8)

uncloned

because of the A:B:A form?

Hayden is not Haydn?

Are we talking about the guy who wrote the oratorio Messiah?

Hmmm - we may not be talking of the same thing.