.52 VSTi instrument plays odd noise after a while

Started by CodeCat, January 18, 2009, 14:45:47

Previous topic - Next topic

CodeCat

Full Version:
OpenMPT v1.17.02.52

Has the bug occured in previous versions? If yes, please specify version(s): Occurred in .48 as well

Description of the bug:
Using the demo of the Supersaw Plus VSTi plugin, after having a note play for about 20 seconds you hear an odd off-tune sawtooth-like sound for a second or two. It repeats every so often. It happens both when playing a pattern/song and when playing random notes using the keyboard on the instruments tab, and the only way to stop it is to stop playback entirely (which of course is not an option when playing the song!).

I realise that this might be a bug in the plugin rather than in OpenMPT, but I have no other programs that use VSTi's so I can't test this.

How often does it happen?:
Always.

How to reproduce (step by step description):
- Download and install the Supersaw Plus demo.
- Create a new song and add the plugin to FX1, then create an instrument that uses the plugin. Keep the plugin at its default settings (it seems to not matter anyway).
- Play any note, such as C-5. No need to sustain the note, just give it a short tap.
- After about 20 seconds of (presumably) silence, you'll hear the problem. It will repeat every 20 seconds or so.

Saga Musix

are you sure that it's not actually a limitation of the demo version? Many demo VSTis add noise to the output signal either constantly or after a certain period of time has passed.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

CodeCat

I did consider that, but the site and the manual mention absolutely nothing about limitations of the demo version. Surely if there is a limitation, they'd tell you about it to encourage you to get the full version? Right now you'd be more inclined to treat it as a bug, and dismiss the plugin altogether.

LPChip

The website doesn't mention any limitations the demo is having, and since a demo is always limited in some way so you can buy it, I'm fairly sure this noise is just a demo limitation.

In order to test this, create a new instrument, assign the vsti to it, go to the instrument tab and press a note to initialise a sound. Let it naturally fade out so you hear nothing.

I expect this sound to start sounding too. If so, its a demo limitation. If it were to be something from modplug, you could find out by telling us if other plugins (preferabelly free ones) also have this sound once in a while. If not, you should contact the plugin developers instead.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

CodeCat

Quote from: "LPChip"In order to test this, create a new instrument, assign the vsti to it, go to the instrument tab and press a note to initialise a sound. Let it naturally fade out so you hear nothing.
That's what I did, it's mentioned in the first post.

I guess I'll just have to look for a free replacement then. Don't suppose you can point one out, or am I being too lazy now? :P

Saga Musix

Shouldn't be hard to find a VSTi for supersaws. You could try the free "superwave p8" which has a supersaw mode. :)
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Harbinger

Same problem occurs with many of DSK's free VSTi's (it clangs after you hold a note for at least 15 secs). However, i believe it is the result of a badly built VSTi, unless someone finds the problem in MPT's handling of certain VSTi's.

Saga Musix

I don't have any problems with DSK Syntopia (just did a short test), so are you sure that this applies to all of them or maybe just to demo plugins?

Saga Musix

Nahkranoth

As I've tested it earlier, I can say that the noise IS a demo limitation of the Supersaw plus

Saga Musix

As this answers the initial question, I'll close this bug report. Thank you, Nahkranoth.

Nahkranoth

No probs!
And 2CodeCat: Free replacement will be Contralogic Pterosaur, fatter than every BigMomma from the deepest ghetto :lol:
[EDIT] Just noticed that this thread is old, LOL