uncloned

http://www.tunesmithy.connectfree.co.uk/

Sam, I will listen when I get home from work

what program did you use?

Sam_Zen

2 Louigi
the Wiki :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fractal_music
Fractals are certain algorithms, mostly used to render graphical results like f.e. landscapes or trees, sometimes in 3D. some examples here :
http://www.mysticfractal.com/Galleries.html

2uncloned
FractMus2000 - can be found here

uncloned

if you think about it from my perspective of liking 20th century classical music this is kind of sad....

sections passably could be mid-20th contemporary classical orchestral music or a film score.

I'm ambivalent concerning aleotoric music. On one hand it can result in the most original and exciting constructions, on the other... its emotionally confusing because, in fact, there is no emotion behind it. I like my "Radio" because it is surprising to me - but surely has no emotion behind it.

As an exercise this is really cool - and it does sound like a psycho thriller.

Sam_Zen

A much heard point, about no emotion behind it.
In fact, I agree. A lot of 'random music' is just quite boring to me.
But I don't let the math do the job freely. I select what I like, skip what I don't want, or decide of some sequence to be repeated for a certain number of times.
That's why I call it "controlled random".

uncloned

I think there is a term, "computer assisted composition", if I remember right that describes the process.

I kind of did that with Radio too - you put constraints on what you do.

I read a paper, I don't know if I can find it again, where some german music / programmer academic types were teaching a computer to compose via human feedback. The exercise was to create artificial creativity.

Again... I feel ambivalence towards the idea.

I do like randomness in my music... I guess it is a personal choice as to how much is acceptable. I mean for instance when I improvise I may hit a note unintentionally - but there it is and I now have to work with it. Sometimes it can be a "happy" mistake.

Sam_Zen

As you say, most of these theories are coming from very academic approaches, so imo not quite interesting. And the term 'artificial creativity' is ridiculous.
I did a lot of 'free improvisation' with other musicians, and you're right about hitting 'the wrong note'. I always emphasised to them : - never mind, don't stop, it's not 'wrong', it's just another note, and make something of it.

Louigi Verona

uncloned

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"A much heard point, about no emotion behind it.
In fact, I agree. A lot of 'random music' is just quite boring to me.
But I don't let the math do the job freely. I select what I like, skip what I don't want, or decide of some sequence to be repeated for a certain number of times.
That's why I call it "controlled random".

and fractal generation isn't really random. and fractals are prevalent in nature as well. It sounds as though you chose a highly chromatic scale.

Louigi Verona

it depends on what kind of random music you are talking about. if it is totally random - than yes, but if random processes are controlled or used in a certain way, it may be very appealing.

Sam_Zen

2uncloned
I like fractals, because they indeed are the math of nature (you use a cloud one as avatar on the sOon-site, I guess ?).
Aren't really random, because of the formulas, but one has to wait what's going to be rendered. And Fractmus is very nice, because one indeed can choose out of several scales.
2Louigi
I only tried this mode. As I said, other concepts I often find too academic.

Here are two other examples made in the same manner :
Urgent
Opticon

uncloned

my avatar on SoOn was generated by Fracint (plasma) and then palatte rotated, also in fractint. (you need 256 color screen to palatte rotate which is a draw back on true-color systems)

Rakib

I am sorry, but this made no sense.  
^^

uncloned

sorry - Sam and I are talking about my avatar on So On

which is.....

I made it years ago with a dos program called fracint

http://stason.org/TULARC/science-engineering/sci-fractals/45-What-is-Fractint.html