What's your opinion?

Hellacool! :D
5 (83.3%)
Whatever man... :/
1 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: September 17, 2010, 20:49:06

Saga Musix

» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

psishock

I've just came home from one of my best friend, and happen' to be in altered mental state with the help from the alcohol, so i'm really not in the mood to read all this long article :). Can you summarize it in a few sentences älskling, what is this all about, or it is 2 complex, i must read it all to understand? If so, i'll defintetely put an effort to it tomorrow, after some refreshing sleep.
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

älskling

Well, you could read the abstract ;)

"We found that very thin carbon nanotube films, once fed by sound frequency electric currents, could emit loud sounds. This phenomenon could be attributed to a thermoacoustic effect. The ultra small heat capacity per unit area of carbon nanotube thin films leads to a wide frequency response range and a high sound pressure level. On the basis of this finding, we made practical carbon nanotube thin film loudspeakers, which possess the merits of nanometer thickness and are transparent, flexible, stretchable, and magnet-free. Such a single-element thin film loudspeaker can be tailored into any shape and size, freestanding or on any insulating surfaces, which could open up new applications of and approaches to manufacturing loudspeakers and other acoustic devices."

My personal opinion is that carbon nanotube thin film speakers are even cooler than plasma speakers

psishock

I've read the article now, the technology is fascinating nowdays, that is for sure. I'm really looking forward to see these pieces at mass production, or at least, be able to test them somewhere.
The poll is really unnecessary tho' :D
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

Sam_Zen

Wow, a great development.
No moving, no magnets. I did a global read of the article, and it seems that the amplifier circuit is very simple too.
The same future is happening with thin film screens.

älskling

Quote from: "psishock"The poll is really unnecessary tho' :D
I know! :D

Harbinger

I dunno about all this new-fangled flibberty-flabberty.

Just give me a magnet, copper wire, and a piece of construction paper, and i'm happy. :P

residentgrey

you and your new-fangled wirez, paper cups n strings is what honest god-fearin wholesome people use!

ROFLCOPTER  :lol:
No two people are not on fire...AWWW!

Web and Graphic Design just for you!
I r GhostMech on there, forever scouting.

uncloned

Sam_Zen

I've asked one of the Chinese professors if it was possihble to inverse this, and use it as a microphone, but no.