[Rock/Punk] DS-10 Argumentation (.mp3)

Started by LPChip, November 12, 2008, 14:08:33

Previous topic - Next topic

LPChip

Have you ever heard a rock/punk song performed by a machine? Or did you ever think it was possible, to get the acoustic drums to sound good enough on a synth? No? Then you'll be even more amased in this video.

As the Korg DS-10 is a synth, it produces sounds based on calculations. I got it to make rock like sounds. I admit, it is not real rock, but its as close as I can get to it. I knew it was possible to get this, so I did. One of the things I experimented with was to get a longer song than usual. I done this by using an extreme low tempo of 40 BPM. Yes, 40! Normally a song is around 120 or the slower ones around 80-90. I chose for 40 so I get double as much notes as 80, and thus a song that is twice as long. But 40 bpm really sounds slow. Considered that there are 60 seconds in a minute, a beat takes longer than one second on 40 bpm. To compensate for this, I've put in a max swing of 75. In the video I tried to show this, but the camera wasn't working with me. Stupid thing! To make it sound even more fast, I also added an echo which makes you forget that its only 40 bpm.

I hope you enjoy this song as much as I've enjoyed making it, not to mention that I still love to listen to this one over and over again!

You can download an mp3 version here: http://files.lpchip.nl/lpchip/LPChip%20-%20DS-10%20Argumentation.mp3

I've also put this on Youtube. You can find it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Bvda2Jbn7A

Oh yeah, feedback is always welcome! :) Even if its just you expressing how much you like it.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

psishock

It must be fun to compose with heavy limitations. :D It reminds me to the old times from C64, people used every of their brain neurons to make their code (or music) workable/playable on the system. They are pushed more and more that lil' hardware, beyond the limits and they found joy in it ^^. You must feel the same with the DS. =)
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

LPChip

Yeah. :)

Its awesome to get something done that seems impossible, and then show it to others. :D
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Sam_Zen

Enjoyed, LP !
I like tricks like the echo to give a 'double time-feel', if the sync of the speed is correct, and it is.
A bit of an abrupt ending, I must say.
As psishock states, the limitations of devices can challenge the brain of the composer to get the max out of it.
And beyond, with creative solutions, or non-standard procedures.

LPChip

Indeed. :)

The abrubt ending was necessary, because I reached the last pattern. :P

unfa

Hey! LPChip!

I think that this is really amazing. I did't know that it's possible to make such a great music with Korg DS-10!  :shock:
Of course I can still hear it's specific color of drums and synths, but it really means nothing to me.

Fantastic melodies! Peace of great music!  :D
my music Right now. I'am working with OpenMPT on Ubuntu. Just a bit harder... but still possible and I'am happy about this :)

LPChip

bvanoudtshoorn

Nice work, LP! I have no comment, other than that I like it. ;)

LPChip

Louigi Verona

I am sorry I did not say much on your releases. I think I will have ti upload my poor works anyway, just so that you have a fellow Korg-er.