Sync stop

Started by Sam_Zen, November 04, 2008, 01:34:36

Previous topic - Next topic

Sam_Zen

Since in the meantime some devs are added to the team, I dare to nag for the 3rd time (and last) about a playback function.

For the realtime presentation of a tracker module, it was a big improvement when the 'change at transition' modus was added.
To keep a synced playback while jumping to another pattern, or muting/unmuting a channel.

The only option which still can't be used with the 'transition' variable, is the stop-function.
If this would be possible, then the live-performance of a tracker-module would be perfect.
(of course I could make a dummy empty pattern to jump to, but that's artificial)

So to command 'stop at transition' during playing any pattern in the list, not causing an immediate stop,
but the pattern is still performed until the last row, then stopped.

Saga Musix

I'm not sure if this neccessary, because, as you mention, it is supposed for live playback and not for everyday tracking. In addition, if you use VSTs for example, there may be a roll-out loop (i.e. a reverb effect that's fading out) which will be cut off by a normal stop command in MPT (which is not 100% what the VST specs say, but that's another story).
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

I agree with Jojo here.

The best way to deal with this situation is to append an empty pattern to the end, then jump to it on transition, and when the sound is muted, stop the playback.

But if it can be arranged differently, it would be a nice addition.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

bvanoudtshoorn

Quote from: "Jojo"(which is not 100% what the VST specs say, but that's another story).

And there's the crux of the matter. As long as OpenMPT doesn't do this, I personally won't have a use for the functionality.

As you say, you can skip to an empty pattern -- this is particularly acceptable if you only let a channel ever control a single instrument, as you can put note offs in the new pattern, and so get the VST roll off.

Sam_Zen

I agree too with Jojo about complications if VST plugins are used.
As a matter of fact, even an added long reverb from MPT's Player setting would be abruptly cut off.

2 LPChip
As said, I brought this up before, and you gave me the tip of the empty pattern then.
Now, concerning the fading out of some effect, it even would be a better solution, the sound will continue in that empty pattern.
But still, even with that dummy pattern, it would be nice if playback could be stopped just at the end of it.

And this request is about an choice, not a change. It just would be the cherry on the 'on transition' cake.
Live improvisation of a module demands good timing skills of the player, because any key/mouse command has to be made while the current pattern is running.

I have my doubts btw about the position of this dummy pattern added at the end of the song.
It seems obvious, but in fact it would create an unnecessary silence at the end of a song.
This pattern could be at any position in the pattern list, because one can jump (Ctrl+L-click) to it, to close the playback.
If this pattern is nr 16 in the list, it's easy to add a code at the end of pat 15 to skip 16 and continue with pat 17.

I understand the lack of need for these kind of functions from an academic point of view, composing a piece.
But I think the realtime potential is underestimated. If one compose some 'dance' or 'techno' work, it's done for the listener.
So not too much boring repeats, keeping the song tight within let's say 5 minutes.
But suppose you're a DJ, playing it for a dancing crowd in a hall. Then it would be nice to repeat one or more patterns,
Until you feel, it's time for a change, maybe jump back in the list, or make an end to the playing.

LPChip

An choice? :P You mean a choice right? :P

Anyway, the position of the pattern doesn't really matter, and if you don't want the empty pattern to be recoreded to wav in such cases, you can simply leave a -- pattern in between.

The reason for putting the pattern in the end, is because you usually move to the end of the patterns during playback. (I would atleast)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs