[electronic] child labor (mp3) korg ms2000

Started by uncloned, November 03, 2008, 04:00:18

Previous topic - Next topic

uncloned

except a touch of guitar - all korg MS2000

another experiment in controlling the synthesizer and trying to learn how to compose electrically - where tone color is equal to notes.

http://clones.soonlabel.com/mp3/clones-child-labor-022602n.mp3

psishock

So, you've decided to walk on the path of synthesis, young skywalker? :D

This sound more ambient-like stuff that "plain" electronic, but it totally drives me into your charm. Nicely done. I could swear that i've visualized out of this word images, while listened to it.
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

Sam_Zen

copied comment from the SOF :
Well, I consider this a really electronic composition. Not directly so much for the used sounds, but regarding the development of the piece.
Nice graphic btw.

uncloned

Hi Sam,

Can we discuss the sense of development?

I essentially arranged patterns of sound with a little bit of effects here and there. My thought was to go for "impression" and in this case I'm not as pleased with the middle that sounds more like non-ambient music.

Development in a classical sense usually (usually!) means taking a melodic theme and either presenting it in different environments or developing variations.

Chris

uncloned

Quote from: "psishock"So, you've decided to walk on the path of synthesis, young skywalker? :D

This sound more ambient-like stuff that "plain" electronic, but it totally drives me into your charm. Nicely done. I could swear that i've visualized out of this word images, while listened to it.

Thanks for the listen!

I'm unsure of genre's and don't understand the genre explosion. I saw a map of electronic music genres and it looked like the Balkans!

The MS2000 presents a wider palette than my Casio CZ-101 - which in a way makes it more difficult if I'm going to use it as I'd like.

I think I'll be exploring this synth for many years to come!

psishock

Quote from: "uncloned"I saw a map of electronic music genres and it looked like the Balkans!
oh, your discovery makes me feel unwittingly proud. :oops:

I wish you many great times with your MS2000, i'm adoring the sound engineering, explorations as well. Sound synthesis is a whole other world than "plain" sample based tracking, but i admit, both can be really fun.
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

Sam_Zen

Relistened : I guess what you mean with the middle part, having more plain default synth sounds with gliding effects.
I don't mind, because it's a stage with the right duration, changing back to more abstract forms in time again after ~3:30.

uncloned

Sam, seriously, what are you seeing as development?

Is it a MUX concept?

Sam_Zen

Not much to do with MUX. Develelopment literally in the course of time-envelope of the song.

uncloned

Sam_Zen

'Flat' associates with eq things, but with 'time-envelope' I firstly mean volume.
The envelope as a curve of 'tension' of the song.

uncloned

ok, yes, tension

that is the ultimate distillation of classical, and probably any, time based art

tension and release

I think I understand - thanks!

Sam_Zen

Nice notice. Indeed, when dealing with tension, one also have to choose moments of release.

Harbinger

Notes as i'm listening:

Child-Labor:
I love the excellent production of this piece! The beginning is like a robotic monk doing his morning rosary. Then Emerson-Lake-Palmer take over with their early synths for a little partita! About 3 minutes in, you think drums are about to come in, but no, it's just inner rumbling...Further on, whatever you thought were notes end up being only vague images of them, twisted distorted into miscarried chords, as if Dali were a composer of electronica!
I normally don't go for this kind of music, but i was entranced....it shall serve as inspiration to me in current opi...

uncloned

Thank you Harbinger!

I really appreciate your description - it is cool to hear my music through someone else's ears and mind.