Main Menu

Hi!

Started by arinlares, October 27, 2008, 04:37:43

Previous topic - Next topic

arinlares

So, i just downloaded Modplug Tracker (or Open MPT, whichever name it goes by), and so far, aside from the confusion encountered trying to load a VST instrument, I like it!  It's a simple piece of software once you get a handle on it.  Well, you can expect to see me here, i'll be trying to make some good music.  I'm working on something now, so i'll have it soon, as soon as I can get some plugins.

LPChip

Welcome to the forums. :)

If you have any questions, feel free to ask them here.

And in case you are unaware, from the forum index, you can find a forum called wiki. It'll bring you to our online manual. Included in this manual, there's a tutorial. :)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

bvanoudtshoorn

Hiya arinlares, and welcome! I can definitely say that I'm not in Europe -- I'm in Western Australia, in fact. :D The users on the forum are actually scattered all over the globe, and as far as I know there are a couple of other posters from the US. They just might not be as active as some of the regulars.

I look forward to hearing what you come up with using OpenMPT! (BTW, the terms "OpenMPT" and "Modplug Tracker" are pretty much interchangeable, although the official name became OpenMPT when the project was open-sourced.)

arinlares

there is one thing i found particularly odd, though.  the OpenMPT download doesn't have a help file, so the help tab doesn't work.  don't know if you know.

bvanoudtshoorn

Well, at some stage the help file needs to be entirely rewritten, following what's in the wiki. The help file that used to be included with Modplug Tracker is hopelessly outdated now. For the moment, your best bet is to use the wiki, which is a pain if you don't have a permanent internet connection. Oh, and asking questions here generally works well, too. :)

If you do want the original help file you can download the copy I've got by clicking here, but as I said, it's hopelessly out of date. Still, it contains a lot of information about the effects you can use when you're writing traditional sample-based (ie no VSTs) tracks.

arinlares

i doubt i'll use Modplug Tracker for traditional tracking, i'll try it, though.  as far as that goes, if I start a new XM module, will it use FastTracker effects?  i've got a few months of FT2 experience.

bvanoudtshoorn

If you start with an XM module, you'll be limited to XM effects, and the XM specification, so yes. Note, however, that you won't be able to use plugins etc.

If you do want to use VST instruments and effects, then you should either use an IT module (which is a heavily modified version of the Impulse tracker format), or OpenMPT module (which is, as far as I know, the same as OpenMPT's IT format). A few notes on these, though.

1. If you want to write an Impulse Tracker module which you can actually load and play in Impulse Tracker or XMPlay or Winamp or whatever, you need to save it using "Compatibility export", which basically strips out all of OpenMPT's additions.
2. The default filetype is IT; clicking the "New" button on the toolbar brings up an IT file, and this is what most people tend to use, as far as I know.
3. There is really no benefit in using the MPTM format, particularly given
4. The MPTM format is still in development, and it's very likely that it will be completely different in the future. The ultimate goal, as far as I know, is to move to an XML-based format for storage, which is a lot cleaner and human-readable. If you're interested, the basic paradigm will be the same as OpenOffice's way of working - binary data (samples etc.) stored in files, the XML data stored in a file, and the whole lot wrapped up in a single archive. As far as I know. :)
5. Although OpenMPT's playback of MOD, S3M, XM, and (normal) IT modules is good, it's by no means perfect - it differs somewhat from how the original trackers play them back. In most cases, this difference is negligible. If you really want to hear a mod how it should sound, though, you should give it a listen in XMPlay.
6. If you're going to be using VST instruments and effects, remember to change your tempo mode to "modern (accurate)" -- this way, the tempo you specify is the actual tempo used, which can be very important when you're dealing with synced-up effects, like delays. The old tempo algorithms aren't particularly accurate -- in fact, you can see what the actual tempo these various modes produce (for the same stipulated tempo) by going to "Player"->"Approx Real BPM" in the menu.
7. If you want to add reverb, eq, and so on to your song, avoid using the in-built effects -- they're not particularly high quality. It's much better to use good VST effects if you can, as the results will generally sound better, and you'll have much more precise control. Personally, I use the KarmaFX equaliser when I need an EQ.
8. If you're having troubles using a particular VST (ie OpenMPT crashes unexpectedly, it locks up, or you get no sound), either the plugin itself is broken, or you've come up against OpenMPT's difficulties with certain plugins. You can get around about 99.9% of these difficulties by 'wrapping' a plugin in another one, like Xlutop Chainer (which lots of people on the forum, including me, swear by). The advantage of using Xlutop Chainer is that you get much more flexible signal routing between plugins as well as a much more solid VST implementation.

My goodness, that was a long post. Sorry about that. :/ I didn't mean to give you a brain dump on 'starting out with OpenMPT' which would scare you away. :) Feel free to ignore any of the advice I give, because, as always, there'll be someone with a different view. :D

arinlares

if anything, you grabbed my interest.  you just saved me hours of reading and frustration. as far as xm and mod tracks go, i've got that handled, by the way.  i'll probably spend more time getting VSTs than actually tracking right now, i can guess, but that's good.  i just need to figure out drums, and hit KVR Audio for some synthesizers.

i don't want to ask this in the developer's forum, but are there any plans for ports to other operating systems?

Sam_Zen

LPChip

Quote from: "arinlares"
i don't want to ask this in the developer's forum, but are there any plans for ports to other operating systems?

There are many plans, but seeing porting happen is an entire different thing. This is basically due to the fact that the sourcecode currently depends on microsoft technology.

The entire engine would have to be rewritten. This is also one of the plans, but these are some big plans that will take atleast another few years before they're being realised.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

bvanoudtshoorn

In the meantime, I understand that some people have had remarkably good success running OpenMPT under WINE on Linux.

arinlares

well, i'll look into that.  i'm actually trying to get a laptop for linux (just out of high school last june, job-hunting now :) ).  well, hopefully, this program will run forever, unlike other, related ones.

bvanoudtshoorn

If you're absolutely not going to have a dual-boot system, then you might like to look at forking out some money for something like Cedega or CodeWeavers CrossOver. Personally, I dual-boot, so I haven't actually had a real need for WINE or similar for a long time now. And if you're using WINE etc, plugin issues are much more likely, and your latency will be higher.

bvanoudtshoorn

...That being said, the application info for OpenMPT at CrossOver looks pretty good: http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/rank/?app_id=4332

LPChip

Has anyone tested running QEMU under linux? They claim to have realtime support for running say... windows on a linux environment.