[Trance] Ghosts (mp3)

Started by tvdude, October 22, 2008, 16:31:04

Previous topic - Next topic

tvdude

Here is a new tune from me, I think the eq needs a bit of work, but tell me what you think.

[edit]
the link below is the 3rd remastering of this song; there is more high end, less midrange.  According to my speakers, it's a really good mix, please let me know what you think, as I will save the settings for future songs.  I want to know if I have my system set up completely out of whack, because in this song I have lots of high end, a good mix of midrange, and some good low end.  Again, my amp to the speakers is at a flat eq.  How does it sound on your end?

http://213.129.73.14/users_audio/7842/DT_ACF4A484175729.mp3
tvdude
"If you look ten feet into a five foot well, you will see what you choose to see."

Sam_Zen

Nice variations with the basic melody by sometimes skipping a note.
I like the change of density at 2:28.
EQ : you're right. Things could be a little 'sharper', so a bit increase of the mid and high.

tvdude

Thanks for the reply Sam.  The song has been re-equed.  Please let me know if you hear a difference or not, I can, but then again, I have been listening to it for hours, I am suffering from ear fatigue I think...lol.  Anyway, there is more high end and midrange.  The link at the top is updated with the new version.
tvdude
"If you look ten feet into a five foot well, you will see what you choose to see."

Sam_Zen

There's a slight improvement in 'clarity', and I think it's sufficient.
Not always big changes are needed for some improvement, it's a matter of balance.
A slightly different colour on the brush can make quite a different impression of the painting as a whole.

bvanoudtshoorn

I always enjoy your work, tvdude, and this track is no exception. There are some absolutely fantastic lines in here. The sound is quite 'warm'; ie, there's still a full bass and a very full midrange, which is a bit unusual at first; the introduction of the supersaw, though, offsets this. I think that a lot of it might be caused by the MP3 compression, and, perhaps, the response of whatever you mix on (I know that my mixes are tuned to sound right on my headphones).

Overall, though, I really enjoyed this track. It's a really good listen. Nice work!

tvdude

Thanks Barry!

There definitely is a lot of bass and midrange, I sort of left those frequencies in on purpose, especially in the beginning, maybe it's too much.  I use paradigm speakers to master on ( I don't have studio monitors), and my amplifier is set to a flat eq.  It does sound good on my speakers, but I will have to burn it to cd, and see what it sounds like in a bunch of different sound systems.  Regardless, thanks for the positive comments!  I consider you and many people in this community to have much more talent than myself, so to hear that you like my music is a great compliment.  Thanks very much!
tvdude

Harbinger

Jotting notes as i listen:

Ghosts: Excellent for trance, except for one minor thing: if this were playing at a dance club, it wouldn't carry over well. There are too many pauses in the beat to make it danceable (i guess unless you like dancing to silence!:P) However, i'm keeping it my rotation because it's interesting and pleasing. It'll be great while i'm working on my word processing....

For those who haven't heard it and are wondering if you should, it's serious Trance, written in 3 movements like a synthesizer concerto. It's well constructed, and rich with noise and pulse. It has short, 5-second caesurae for catching your breath before continuing your private Rave practice...:wink:

Critiquing the sonority, there's nothing wrong with the extremely mid-ranged opening synth (or its equivalent throughout), but definitely contrast it with sharp hihats, snares, and other hi-passed tones. And yes, it's a good idea to track on a flat EQ, then listen with EQ adjustments to your liking.

Excellent work --- let us know when you've re-engineered it!

tvdude

Harbinger, thanks for the great review!

I have remastered the tune again (for the 3rd time, much to the chagrin of my neighbours..lol) and I think this is a good mix.  The link at the top is updated with the new mix.  However, here it is again:

http://213.129.73.14/users_audio/7842/DT_ACF4A484175729.mp3

Regarding the dancability factor in clubs...it's funny you should mention that.  Most of the trance I listen to would completely suck in a club, as there are many pauses in the music.  What I write and what I listen to tends to be high energy journeys, if that makes any sense.  The music, while fast and upbeat, usually has several pauses and has more of a contemplative feel.  I love trance that makes you think.  Does that make any sense?  Technically, I should make radio versions of my music, it would give me more airplay, but then again, I tend to be an artist, and don't really care about the marketing.  What are your thoughts on this?
tvdude

Harbinger

Fair enough, but implicit in Trance music (in my own experience) is a continuous beat. However, often club DJs will mix a kick track into musical spaces like the ones in yours to keep everyone dancing, so it's not like you're doing anything "wrong." If you're doing art for art's sake, i'm always inclined to respect you and your work no matter what genre you claim it to be...

As far as contemplativeness, i've never thought of Trance as "thinking" music. To me it's it's always been escapist -- the refusal to think and just let be. Music to contemplate by, for me, has always been New Age music, like Jonn Serrie or Tangerine Dream, that tends to exchange a driving beat (rhythmic movement) for melody or chord progression (timbral movement). As a matter of fact, Trance started out in the late 80s as New Age music with a beat. But i bet if you grew up listening to House and Trance and all their various forms, you just feel more comfortable falling into those types of music in your more cerebral moments. HOW, i don't know with all the energy that pulses from it! But it's probably just a generational thing (or perhaps just experiential). :wink:

tvdude

I do tend to listen to new age, and also down tempo electronica, and I agree, trance is not typically considered "thinking" music.  It normally does tend to be about escapism.  I guess when I'm escaping, my mind tends to wander, and therefore I tend to think while listening to it.  It probably is experiental.
tvdude

KrazyKatz

Your use of the breaks are exceptional. It's not easy to implement pauses tastefully and you've done it spot on. It's what makes the piece stand out. You would do well to keep it with the stops. Screw the dance floor!

On the Engineering side. It needs work. The piece would do well by being professionally mastered. Unfortunately with mastering, quality of equipment means a lot! Even VST's that work well in mixes, dont nescessarily work well on Masters. You need plugins and equipment that has been designed with mastering in mind.

I took the liberty to put your piece into SoundForge and tinker a bit on the Master. It's just 5 minutes work, but can give you an idea of the difference working with better tools. ( I certainly wouldn't release it as is, it's just to get an idea ).

http://www.sonicbrilliance.com/gh2.mp3

On the Mix side, I'd just say the "Ghost piano" could use an exciter for the tops, although it sounds like you used a cutoff on it, and just cut a little too much off the top. However this may be an issue of taste.

I'd be glad to pass on any tips I can.
Sonic Brilliance Studios
http://www.sonicbrilliance.com

bvanoudtshoorn

"Screw the dance floor". Yes! :D

I think that I should point out again that I really like this track -- I've been listening to it a bit more recently. I do quite like what KrazyKatz did to the mix -- the whole track 'pops' a bit more.

tvdude

I must have something seriously wrong with my system.  Katz version when played here, the kick drum and the piano are distorted (digital clipping is what it sounds like.)  The high end is slightly more crisp and sounds like a spatializer was added, but the overall sound quality seems very degraded.  I am truly stumped, as I have always had problems with inferior sound quality when I post music.

EDIT: I have played both pieces several times side by side, and KrazyKats is definitely louder, and does have a much fuller sound.  The piano and kick still have some distortion.

I use a 31 band eq vst effect (within Modplug) to eq the piece then burn it to wave.  I then filter the wave through a mastering program called free LSAMP.  I look at the wave in Audacity, and it is every bit as robust as anything I download, I just can't figure this out.  My music always turns out with a lower volume, and the eq obviously is just not right.  Like I've said before, my amp is equed flat.  Modplug is equed flat.  My volume levels with in Modplug are: Master 128, VST 100, Samples 100.  My sound card is set to 33%  Does anyone have any idea of what I am doing wrong?  It can't be my sound card, because if I play other music, it's always louder, and the quality is far superior.  Boy, this is frustrating...lol
tvdude

KrazyKatz

That does sound a bit off whack, but never fear!

Take a photo of your studio setup and post it. ( The entire room ).
Send a link of the models of your speakers, amp, and sound card.
Also send a link of this LSAMP. I cant seem to find it.

Well figure it out!

Edit @ Edit: It is Definitely louder ( I used a limiter ), but even at a lower volume it should sound tighter and more even.
Sonic Brilliance Studios
http://www.sonicbrilliance.com

tvdude

Will Do.  I appreciate this.
tvdude