[Pop/Industrial] DS-10 Baseflow (.mp3)

Started by LPChip, October 21, 2008, 18:25:29

Previous topic - Next topic

LPChip

This is my second attempt to make a song in the new Korg DS-10, and I'm really proud of the result! I had the idea to make a guitar kind of sound by manipulating what's possible. This allowed me to make it look like I use a poliphonic Guitar sound as 3rd instrument, which I guess, I actually have.

I made a youtube version of this song so you can see how I did it.
http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=E0c9jG1pe3Y

See the end of the video to partially learn how I did it.

Interested in the mp3 version?
http://files.lpchip.nl/lpchip/LPChip%20-%20DS-10%20Baseflow.mp3

Enjoy, and feedback is always welcome. :)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Sam_Zen

Enjoyed indeed. I like the 'fat' sounds.
Btw : why the use of "in" the new Korg and not "with" ? In the movie I see a concrete case.

LPChip

I dunno why I used in, instead of with. X) I often write that. I make music in Modplug, while I could also say I make music with Modplug. Dunno if In is incorrect though.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

tvdude

"In", and , "With", are both accurate.  LPChip made a melody in a program with the programs' features.  Therefore, he made a song in and with the a program.  At least, that is my understanding of it.
tvdude
"If you look ten feet into a five foot well, you will see what you choose to see."

LPChip

Right! :)

Finally someone who proves I'm not stupid. :nuts:

I do hope that this language barrier doesn't stop anyone from listening to the song and giving his/her comments, though. :P :nuts: :lol:

Sam_Zen

I wasn't critisizing, just wondering.
I understand now, because next to that case with the screens, it appears that also a program is involved.

uncloned

I listened during lunch - it is a nice sounding little device.

what are the specs?

number of voices, polyphony, etc.

LPChip

Quote from: "uncloned"I listened during lunch - it is a nice sounding little device.

what are the specs?

number of voices, polyphony, etc.

Total of 16 unique patterns, which can be in a sequence of 100 orders.

A pattern consists out of 4 drum sounds which are shared over each pattern, and 2 synths, which are unique to each pattern.

In total there are 6 sounds that can be played together, of which the 4 drums will sound the same over the entire song.

Each drum sound can have its own FX, and on top of that, the entire song can also have an FX which can be set to either one or both of the synths, the drums or all.

A pattern consists out of 16 bars, which can be decreased if desired.

Tempo can also be changed.

As for polyphony, there's none. A sound plays until the next is reached, no matter what, but as you can play all the 6 sounds together, there are some ways to emulate polyphony.

Harbinger

Jotting notes as i listen:

DS-10 BaseFlow: VERY basic beginning, reminding us how far we've come with synthesizers. Needs some engineering work, as far as volume balance. I understand this was just a piece to reacquaint yourself with that old synth, so i won't criticize it on artistic merits.

mrvegas

Now I feel like an idiot after posting my comments on the other tune -- I watched the video for this song.  I had no idea you could make music on the Nintendo DS.  Where did you get the software for this?

The song, by the way, is very nice.  Much better than the other one.

LPChip

I bought it, although there's a topic here on the forum in general chatter about the Korg DS-10 which actually has a linky X)