Old Stuff

Started by Sam_Zen, January 06, 2006, 02:45:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Sam_Zen

"Klass" made in 1995, when just the MOD-format and a max of four channels was available.
The MOD or the ZIP
EDIT : 224 Kb - 7:02

Dj Cruk CHIKIN

Hmmm... Liked the beginning, but in the end, it jsut kinda... got a bit off tune, and unorganized. Still pretty good for a 4 channeler. I might consider making a Techno version out of this. :)
Eat... Its good for you.

Sam_Zen

As long as you follow the rule of naming the source, fine by me. If you make such a version, let me know, because I'm curious about it.
You're right about the end. The original melody-line there has at least 2 more patterns, but I skipped them, so maybe this causes the 'unorganized' feeling.
The samples there were taken from an old Elka String Ensemble, which was already a bit 'off tune' by itself.
The original end-theme can be found here

speed-goddamn-focus

Quote from: "Sam_Zen""Klass" made in 1995, when just the MOD-format and a max of four channels was available.
That's not true. Other formats and more channels were available. Perhaps you were unaware of them at the time, but they did exist.

Sam_Zen

2 speed-goddamn-focus
You're right about this. I indeed wasn't aware of other formats, so I had to work like that.

Squirrel Havoc

I find it fun to work in limitations, like my "chip" song, I wanted to see what I could do using the limitations of the MOD format. And regardless of what most people said, I think it turned out pretty cool. Thats why I miss OHC's, they give you strict limitations, so you sometimes pull off your best work
Anyone can do anything if they have nothing else to do
-
Most musicians are talented. I'm just determined.

Sam_Zen

Quote from: "Squirrel Havoc"Thats why I miss OHC's, they give you strict limitations, so you sometimes pull off your best work
What are OHC's ?
I'm glad you still see the value of limitation. Nowadays there is plenty of space with Giga's and Mega's and speed, hundreds of patterns and channels, but I still like to challenge myself to keep a module as small as possible.

LPChip

OHC stands for One Hour Compo, which is a competition between competitors where a samplepack is provided. The objective is to make a song with these samples in only one hour of time. This is a rush against the clock which can be seen as a limitation (among with the predefined sample pack)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Sam_Zen

2 LPChip
Very interesting idea. And challenging, I must say. But I wonder here : who makes the sample pack ?
In the process, this can be considered as a 'preset' made by someone else. The only material.
A question : when is the composition time starting ? Suppose the sample pack contains some sloppy files, and I first have to repair them into better shape, does this time counts too ?

Limitation is the keyword here, I think, so other OHC's could be possible, for example :
- The pattern-data and order is fixed, but the samples still have to be added.
- Pattern-data is fixed, but pattern-order can be edited. Plus one has to add 2 channels to the song with a new instrument, doing some background, or somewhere playing a solo.

LPChip

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"2 LPChip
Very interesting idea. And challenging, I must say. But I wonder here : who makes the sample pack ?
In the process, this can be considered as a 'preset' made by someone else. The only material.
A question : when is the composition time starting ? Suppose the sample pack contains some sloppy files, and I first have to repair them into better shape, does this time counts too ?

Limitation is the keyword here, I think, so other OHC's could be possible, for example :
- The pattern-data and order is fixed, but the samples still have to be added.
- Pattern-data is fixed, but pattern-order can be edited. Plus one has to add 2 channels to the song with a new instrument, doing some background, or somewhere playing a solo.

Usually the person that hosts the compo is responsible for providing a sound pack. You're forced to use these sounds only. Usually you are allowed to alter them slightly. The exact rules depend on the hoster, but usually they are: no vst's that require dll's, wav can't be drastically altered, instrument can be altered.

Everyone gathers around in an IRC channel and when the compo starts, the samples are being given by a link to a file. You have exactly one hour to do the following: Listen to all samples; modify those that you find necessary, which includes mixing; tracking a song. As soon as the hour passed, you must save your work and get it to the organiser as fast as possible.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Sam_Zen

2 LPChip
Alas, I don't do IRC, ICQ or anything like that and most probably never will, so I pass.
But it is a nice concept anyway.

LPChip

I guess you could do this through e-mail too.

You sign up with an email adress prior to the compo.

At the date of the compo you receive at exactly 14:00 an email with the samplepack (or whatever time you say). Anyone that doesn't submit their song back before 14:05 is disqualified or something...

Then the organiser sends another email with the songs zipped in a file and voting begins. After all votes are counted the result can be mailed and if desired, posted at the forum, including the songs.

Sam_Zen

I suppose you mean 15:00 instead of 14:05, but that's not so important.
You're protocol is right, but I have my doubts about the medium e-mail.
We're talking about audio-files here and they tend to be big. Any attachment to a mail will be about 50 % bigger in filesize due to coding. Since systems are pretty quick nowadays, no problems between two people, but if the organiser
has to load all those pieces, zip them, and upload again, this would take substantial time.
Another medium is, if one has, the server of one's own website.
I use the principle, that if filesize > 1 Mb (such threshold can be custom set of course), then I don't attach, but use a subdirectory, created on my website (but not linkable from there), where I can upload the file, and send a mail to the receiver with just the download-link in it, so without the content.

LPChip

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"I suppose you mean 15:00 instead of 14:05, but that's not so important.
You're protocol is right, but I have my doubts about the medium e-mail.
We're talking about audio-files here and they tend to be big. Any attachment to a mail will be about 50 % bigger in filesize due to coding. Since systems are pretty quick nowadays, no problems between two people, but if the organiser
has to load all those pieces, zip them, and upload again, this would take substantial time.
Another medium is, if one has, the server of one's own website.
I use the principle, that if filesize > 1 Mb (such threshold can be custom set of course), then I don't attach, but use a subdirectory, created on my website (but not linkable from there), where I can upload the file, and send a mail to the receiver with just the download-link in it, so without the content.

Indeed, I ment 15:05.

Note that usually the files used in these compo aren't bigger than 500k. If you hold a chip compo, then ofcource these files are significantly smaller.

Indeed, the actual system can be anything. You can use a website with the ability to download the samplepack, and then allow song upload to upload the results to. The hoster then can download them again, make a  vote pack, and put it on the web. Note that as soon as the compo is finished (after that hour) there's no time rush anymore.