.52 Found a new way to crash OpenMPT completelly

Started by LPChip, September 25, 2008, 20:21:29

Previous topic - Next topic

LPChip

Full Version:
OpenMPT v1.17.02.52

Has the bug occured in previous versions? If yes, please specify version(s): (This option is optional, and doesn't need research. But in case you know...)
Not tested

Description of the bug:
I can make OpenMPT crash if I load alot of songs at once, and in this case, the songs are all chiptunes, so it is not a "big song crash" issue. They're all <400kb and not using VST's. Most of them are probably under 50k even.

How often does it happen?:
Always if I do this action.

How to reproduce (step by step description):
Choose File->Open, navigate to a directory with alot of songs. Press CTRL-A to select all, press open, and see all your songs being opened untill OpenMPT dissappears. X) NB. it doesn't crash at the same song, but it crashes after a while. I'd say, there's a memory leak that causes this, and probably also the other crash regarding VSTi's.

Just some additional statistics: I have 67 songs in that directory, and it crashes when its about to load the 26-29'th song.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

i tried to open 35 files and it didn't crash. but it showed the splash screen again...
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Sam_Zen

Confirmed. I used a directory with about 105 XM or MOD files. Only 10 of them exceed 1 Mb.
The crash (M$ came with some dialog to close the app) appeared at nr 64. Total amount of bytes at that point : about 31 Mb.
I did a second test, where I didn't use Ctrl-A, but selected first file, then Shift-click on last file.
Then it stranded already at nr 37. Total bytes at that point 23 Mb.
A third test using selecting the last file, then Shift-click on the first one.
It stopped at nr 64 again.
Fourth test : Adding all files to the list by Ctrl-click.
This time it crashed at nr 57.. Quite unpredictable, this.

Saga Musix

I tried another dir with 60 files (mixed bag, some large and small files, some with vsts, some create with the 1.17.3 alpha version - this causes modplug to show a popup message) and it didn't crash once again, it became very slow though :)

EDIT: Cool, post #1024 by me :D
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

Try loading alot of songs that all load well. A popup will cause userinteraction and that would reset the crashcounter to 0 :P
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

Did you ever try this again? Does this still happen?

LPChip

Doesn't seem to happen anymore.

After 64 songs I do get an error message, and while having 64 songs open, the behavior gets a bit weird, but atleast they load and I can play the songs, which was the only reason why I wanted to have this.

I'll close this one.