Sequence Markers (visual utility)

Started by Skaven, September 07, 2008, 10:21:47

Previous topic - Next topic

Skaven

A handy little feature, that would allow you to insert markers into the pattern sequence, to visually indicate different parts of the song. Or in my case, different songs in the multi-part song file.

Here's a suggestion mock-up of how it could look like:

By right-clicking the Sequence editor, you would get an "Insert Marker" command. The marker name would be editable. The markers would be placed "between" patterns. This seems more logical to me, as it visually marks the beginning of a pattern.

By right-clicking the marker tag, you could select "Delete", "Rename", "Delete All Markers" and "Anchor to Sequence (red) / Anchor to Patterns (blue)". The difference between the aforementioned two would be, that a marker anchored to the Sequence would retain its absolute position in the sequenxe, whereas a marker anchored to the patterns would shift and move as patterns are inserted or deleted.

Markers could be moved by dragging.

Floating the mouse cursor above a marker tag would show its Position in the sequence (both in decimal and hex). This would be helpful when entering Bxx commands.

LPChip

+1 for this feature! :)

I already know you can give patterns a name, but I practically don't use that ability, because you must click a pattern in order to see it, but making labels that are always visible would be very handy.

And maybe if its being implemented, it can be like regions, not just markers. But say: region starts at order 3, ends at order 7, named: blah, etc...
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

bvanoudtshoorn

This is an absolutely fantastic idea - I would love to see this implemented. Although LP's idea of defining "ranges" is nice, I think that for the moment, the simple ability to have permanently-visible labels is more than good enough. :)

Saga Musix

sounds like a good idea :)

nice to meet you Skaven, btw :)
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Sam_Zen

Yep, a nice entrance, Skaven. Welcome.
Support ++
A well-argumented proposition. The two kinds of Anchors is a clever observation.

2 LPChip
I think there's a different function involved if you talk about naming 'ranges'.
These markers could be compared with the 'cues' in a wav-editor. A range is the region between two markers.
Especially the combination of the Anchor thing with the (in another request) mentioned copying or moving of a selection of patterns in the list, this range naming easily could end up in a mess.

Skaven

Cheers, Jojo & Sam_Zen. :)

One thing that some people might also like, would be that when the user exports the song to a .wav, these markers would also be included in the .wav as  markers. The .wav format also supports markers in its metadata.

Saga Musix

that's a really nice idea. wavelab can read those markes for examples, i can imagine that this would be useful for further processing. it would be extra cool to have this kind of markers as a pattern effect which would also be written into the final wav file so they could be used for syncing in demos! :D but i suppose this is faaaar away...
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Nahkranoth

Holy crap!!! Skaven, are you real, man? Your "Legacy of Rust" is one of the reasons I'm still kickin'!  :D
I know, I'm totally OT here. Had to shout :)

psishock

I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

Skaven

Well, cheers. :) Yes I'm real (at least trying to be). Glad ya enjoyed LoR!

le_parasite

L∑ PДRДSiT∑______________________________________
I ғᴀᴄᴇʙᴏᴏᴋ I ᴛᴡɪᴛᴛᴇʀ I sᴏᴜɴᴅᴄʟᴏᴜᴅ I ʙᴀɴᴅᴄᴀᴍᴘ

Sam_Zen

Always taking comments by Nahkranoth seriously, OT  or not, so I checked the work.
Checked some other tracks too. Very nice work. The tonal content maybe a bit conservative, but very powerful productions.

Skaven

Thank you for your comments, comrade. *bows*

Now... *ahem* ... could people get equally excited about the new .ITP functionality I proposed in that other thread?  :)

psishock

Lol Skaven, the excitement it's mainly meant for you ;), not entirely to the thread itself :D If you would do an introduction thread, i could imagine that that it would have about the same effect.
There are more than a few people whom "You are one of the reasons they are still kickin'", your deep influence will haunt them in their musical world till the very end of their days... and even more, muhahaha. (insert evil laugh soundfont here)

I am more than sure that both feature request (as any of course) where checked by the VIP and they will implement them to the tracker as soon their time gives it.
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

LPChip

Speak for yourself, will ya? :P I don't care for skaven, this feature is FTW! :P

j/k Skaven, I do also care for you :)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs