including SHIFT while selecting

Started by psishock, August 26, 2008, 08:43:25

Previous topic - Next topic

psishock

I could imagine that selecting with "shift" can fasten up the work a bit sometimes (it's like in all standard windows applications)

in "order list" example, left click on something with the mouse:

hold down "shift" on the keyboard, then select something else,
everything between them are selected:

you can drag and drop easy more stuff:

it wouldn't have to copy the data while dragging, it could simply move it with bare "shift", and example with "ctrl" or "ctrl+shift" could copy.

also on "pattern data", could speed up the work on some cases. you can allways be more faster and precise this way, and the data will not scroll away from the wanted selection, even if it's on the edge of the screen.

so it would go like:

and simple:

anywhere where the second selection goes will make everything selected between them.
(now this is a simple example, but if the case would go, say, from channel 1, 01 position to channel 45, 120 position, and you're not in the mood today, to have fun with lightning fast scrolling screen while holding the left mouse button and trying to hit the desired location, it would certanly help :) )
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

Sam_Zen

Let me first state, that I'm not in favor of the drag-n-drop method.
I prefer the copy or move with a cursor-position.
I'm not sure about the pattern-row, copying clusters would be nice indeed.
But I don't understand the pattern example. I've selected parts like this for years in MPT.

psishock

QuoteLet me first state, that I'm not in favor of the drag-n-drop method.
I prefer the copy or move with a cursor-position.
i never used d&d on pattern rows neighter, the curson position was more reliable for me also. On order list, it seemed that the d&d methods where more faster for me.

QuoteBut I don't understand the pattern example. I've selected parts like this for years in MPT.
yea, the example is just for simple step-by-step demonstration how should it work.
You will possibly find it more useful in this imaginar situation:
you have your curson positions in channel 2 and row 32. Scroll over to channel 80 and before clicking on the row 432, you hold down shift. Now the cursor position will go to that position, but you will have everything between first and last point marked. You can d&d or copy/paste at will later.

If i would do selection with left clicking and holding, pinpointing the exact channel and row could be a bother without being able to use the scrollbars. The other working method i know is with shift+arrows/page/home/end keys, but thats really slow method if you need to select like 50 channels and 500 rows in the middle of your pattern data.

Sam_Zen

Ah, I see. You've got a point about still being able to use the scrollbars.
I do not immediately relate to this aspect, because I don't think I ever exceeded a number of 16 channels in my works, or 128 rows.
And a point too about handling a selection of pats in the order list. Could be done with d&d indeed. depending on the speed of shift of course.

Saga Musix

i just realizied how great this feature would be... i'm currently converting a track from 6ticks/row to 3ticks/row... going through the whole sequence editor and expanding every single pattern is tiring...
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

bvanoudtshoorn

Sorry for the OT...

Jojo: Try using this keyboard workflow.
1. [Ctrl]+[L] (twice, using the right-hand Ctrl with your left hand)
2. Click the "expand" button with your right hand, and leave the mouse there.
3. [Ctrl]+[Right Arrow]
4. Lather, rinse, and repeat.

Back on topic, I would like to see this functionality, as well as persistent selections.

Saga Musix

i know that there are "tricks", but that's not the point :)
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Skaven

+1 to moving and copying clusters of patterns at a time in the sequence editor.  :)

Sam_Zen

If this would be possible, I'd think, do it then properly all the way.
So not only neighbouring clusters (by using Shift+), but also seperated patterns into one selection (by using Ctrl+).
Then just pick the position in the list, do 'insert pattern', and paste with Ctrl+V.
This is possible because the pattern list is a different 'focus' area, than the actual pattern below it.

Saga Musix

Ok, feature implemented in the new test version. If anything is going wrong, please tell us to re-open this request.

psishock

Tried, confirmed ;), it works nicely and speeds up the composing, also makes it more comfortable, nice work Jojo!