Album:
Land of the Lost (Track #1)

Artist's description:
Ambient nightmare with nude.

Contributors:
Michele Wilson
some 66 megs of wave files
ModPlug Tracker
(the "source" is compressed to death to prove its an XM)

Inspiration:
ambient electronic advant garde
Some 660 megs of starting waves was generated in the production.
Of these 66 megs were sequenced and treated with various filters.
I am much indebted to Michele for her performance.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
and some nights,
I lay on my bed,
naked,
with the flicker of candles,
and a cool breeze against my body,
through the open window,
I hear them,
I feel them,
touching me,
all over
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://soonlabel.com/b/Attachments/touching-me.mp3

Highly compressed XM
http://soonlabel.com/b/Attachments/touching-me-8-pack.zip

Sam_Zen

Well, it's a nice, somewhat creepy piece.

But I don't understand the size of the files being used.
Of course this is related to the mp3 output which is also set to an extreme high resolution with 320 kbps and 48 kHz.

Sure, a track must have quality.
But beyond a certain border, our poor human ears aren't capable anymore to hear any differrence with a mp3.

uncloned

the original xm was 66 megs

but some complain about mp3 quality so ....

thanks for liking it - Michele did a great job in this

Sam_Zen

I only loaded the MP3, not the XM, for convenience, and I have no complaints about the quality.

cubaxd

I like this sound too - great soundscape.

I also think that the bitrate could be lower. This is your decision, of course :). But if you for example convert it at 192kbits/s and 44.1kHz, it wouldn't make the quality worse. Okay, it does :) - but most people wouldn't realize it - only some with a hearing defect. I've read somewhere that some of them can hear those artifacts much better than "normal" people (?).

uncloned

Thanks for the listen and liking the piece

As far as quality

Mp3s are very small compared to hd space now measured in GB

I even have TB of web space

Since some complain about quality no matter what my policy has become "shrug I put up the best I have so live with it"

Personally I am happy the composer shared at all

cubaxd

The main reason is, that it is just not possible for somebody with a not so fast connection to listen to this song online, because it would buffer the most time. Thus, one must download it before listening. But that's okay by me, since I'm almost always downloading a tune before I listen :)

QuoteI even have TB of web space
:shock: I hope you will not offer your next tunes in wav format ;)

uncloned

I thought the requirement here was to provide a download link.....

:-(

Actually I was considering 192kbps 32-bit floating point....

cubaxd

Don't get me wrong. It was meant as an advice. You can offer you music in any quality you want :). I only think that a bitrate of 320kbps is unusual.

uncloned

Sam_Zen

There's a bit of confusion about downloading. In fact, if one plays a song right from the site, so streaming, it's also downloaded. In the browser-cache.

If I want to review a song, I first download the file, so 'save as' in the browser into a HD directory.
First this was necessary because my system was too slow to deliver streaming, now I have a faster set, but still act the same way.
Because sometimes I want to listen to tracks several times, so I want to do this locally, not dependent of the inet-connection.

As cubaxd stated, uploading a straight wav file is still way too far, but the speed and bandwidth is increasing.
Compression is still needed to keep the filesize down for the transmission.
I think non-destructive formats like FLAC will be the next step in the traffic to still reduce filesize (about 1/2 of the WAV).

cubaxd

Quotespeed and bandwidth is increasing
Not here. Show consideration for us who we live behind the times :-D
Some streets of here there the internet is twice as fast as here. I have max. 47kB/s. Okay, better than the 4kB/s I had with my 56k modem :)

uncloned

I'll tell you what.....

30 years ago you and I would not of known of each others existence and if we did the exchange would be paper and magnetic tape.

We are really lucky someone else is footing the bill to put up a sever that host this exchange of music and our governments actually did something right by creating and supporting the internet infrastructure.

And on top of this we should all be happy that anyone is sharing anything at all regardless of the format, bit-rate, size, sample quality, voice quality, and whatever else I've read complaints about.

And.... isn't ModPlug quiet enough? Let's face it - ModPlug is rather low traffic compared to the 90's.

The title of this forum is free music downloads and that implies you are paying nothing for the music you are listening to.

I don't know about you but I actually lose money on this compositional addiction I have. Just ask my wife for the details on that one - I'd say pushing $1,000 so far this year alone.

Please do not suggest I need to lose more by taking the time to support a slew of formats I don't really care about.

If this is really a problem for you I am sorry but I can't help you. It is not that I don't respect you - it is because I respect myself and what my time is worth.

If you really want - go to my artist page "clones" on traxinspace.com and stream a low bit rate stream of this song there.

http://www.traxinspace.com/song/39526

But..... no one wants to register at traxinspace and I was told that streaming was quite inferior to downloading.....

So my ultimate comment is Whatever....... I simply can't afford to care. I'm putting up download links and that is as far as I am going.

I think it is a problem to focus on what you don't have instead of what you do have - leads to lots and lots of unhappiness.

Chris

Sam_Zen

2 uncloned
Please don't interpret this as a some criticism of my side. As you say : 'Whatever'.  I just notice tech properties and report it.

This is about a core problem with pc's, not only for audio tracks but also f.e. programs : How far back to still have downward-compatibility ?

As cubaxd, I once used a 56k modem, so sometimes I had to skip downloading some sound track, simply because it was too big.
Like trying to drive at 120 kms in the second gear in a car, it's asking for trouble.

Format is another issue. I've chosen to publish in OGG format. If someone doesn't have te tools for it, so be it.

uncloned

I'm just explaining my side of it.

I can't deal with it.

My time is too valuable and should be spent writing mew music.

I had a 56k modem shared between 3 computers until 2005 so I certainly understand - but.... the net continued to get more and more media centered and there is nothing you and I can do to stop it.

If that means some people can't listen... well what can I do.

The herders on the plains of the Serengeti will not hear my music as well.

I've settled on 320 kbps.