Open ModPlug Tracker for Linux?

Started by Apocalyptiq, July 22, 2008, 15:43:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Apocalyptiq

I switch from win to linux, and I want to use ModPlug Tracker. I run it in Wine (it opens windows aplications on linux) and it works, but without sound (error: cannot open sound device or something like that). Is there some good tracker for linux? Or are there some plans to write ModPlug Tracker for Linux?

Apocalyptiq

i open modplug again and this time sound is ok :)

maleek

That's great! What distribution of Linux do you use? :) I'm sitting in front of Ubuntu right now myself ;)

darwin

I tried OMPT 1.17.02.54 in WINE on Slackware64.  However, the higher keys have lower octaves than the lower keys, and sometimes when I press a key it will play a note from one octave, and sometimes a note about one octave off.  Anyone else having problems?  Is there any native GNU/Linux version planned?  If SDL or something was used, OMPT could compile on Windows, GNU/Linux, and probably MacOS, but using SDL might take a lot of reworking.

LPChip

Quote from: "darwin"I tried OMPT 1.17.02.54 in WINE on Slackware64.  However, the higher keys have lower octaves than the lower keys, and sometimes when I press a key it will play a note from one octave, and sometimes a note about one octave off.  Anyone else having problems?  Is there any native GNU/Linux version planned?  If SDL or something was used, OMPT could compile on Windows, GNU/Linux, and probably MacOS, but using SDL might take a lot of reworking.

This actually sounds like normal behavior. Please refer to your keyboard layout in the setup screen to see what each key does. I'm sure you've pressed the change octave key or changed it using your mouse.

Also, there are other keyboard preset files. You might feel more comfortable using another one. I for once use the IT keys, which use a piano kind of layout.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

QuoteIf SDL or something was used, OMPT could compile on Windows, GNU/Linux, and probably MacOS, but using SDL might take a lot of reworking.
You are a "bit" narrowminded here. Think again what makes OpenMPT what it is. Right, the window toolkit. In inOpenMPT's case, this is Microsoft's proprietary MFC. Now don't tell me SDL is also a window toolkit! SDL could be used for the audio output of course, but one wouldn't even need it for that (and just using SDL would be lame, because ASIO would not be possible anymore then).
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

darwin

Quote from: "LPChip"[...]Also, there are other keyboard preset files. You might feel more comfortable using another one.[...]

Ok, where do I get these?

Quote from: "Jojo"[...]Think again what makes OpenMPT what it is.[...] Now don't tell me SDL is also a window toolkit![...]

Ok; a friend who is a better programmer than me just said you could use SDL to make something for Windows, MacOS, and GNU/Linux.  Maybe more is necessary.  I think the sound algorithms are what really make OMPT what it is.

Rakib

^^

Louigi Verona

Why would you need ASIO in LInux when you have JACK?

Saga Musix

Quote from: "Louigi Verona"Why would you need ASIO in LInux when you have JACK?
Err, because I certainly won't drop ASIO support in favor of multi-platform support? What I meant is that replacing all the current audio code by SDL is not an option.

QuoteOk, where do I get these?
in the "extraKeymaps" folder from the official download package.

Ok; a friend who is a better programmer than me just said you could use SDL to make something for Windows, MacOS, and GNU/Linux.
That really depends on what you are doing. OpenMPT is not a game, or a completely graphical tracker like f.e. SchismTracker is, so it's completely useless.

QuoteI think the sound algorithms are what really make OMPT what it is.
No, those make libmodplug (i.e. the mod engine behind OpenMPT) what it is. And libmodplug can be used with anything, including SDL (as SchismTracker shows).
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Louigi Verona

I understand that, but I am saying is that ASIO on Linux is irrelevant. Basically, a cross-platform OpenMPT is like a full rewrite, so it seems to me. It is hardwired into Windows API and Windows specific design.

Saga Musix

Quotebut I am saying is that ASIO on Linux is irrelevant.
I know that and I never said anything else anyway.

QuoteBasically, a cross-platform OpenMPT is like a full rewrite, so it seems to me. It is hardwired into Windows API and Windows specific design.
Less then you maybe think. "Only" the interface is bound to MFC, and there's usage of the WinAPI here and there, but it should really not be too complicated to switch over to Qt, if enough people are willing to help - which is the only real constraint in my view. Apart from that, a switch would open many new possibilites, for example a sample / envelope editor based on OpenGL, which would allow a lot more flexibility.
I'm not saying it's a trivial task, but there are enough helper classes to make the transition a bit easier.

Rakib

How about jumping from MFC to WPF, I know Buzz is using it. And with mono you'll get linux support.
^^

Saga Musix

WPF =
Why would changing to yet another propriety and slow, Windows-only window framework be of any help? (Not to neglect that it would be as much work as converting everything to Qt.) Have you thought what additional dependencies a change to .Net would bring?

Rakib

Modplug was made for windows, I don't see why changing to a more modern and flexible user interface would do so much harm. Also I'm not so sure qt is so fast as you want it to be.
^^