"Backward Paste"

Started by aGIANTpupafish, November 07, 2007, 18:07:07

Previous topic - Next topic

aGIANTpupafish

In the pattern menu, I think it would be helpful to be able to do a backwards paste. So one would do a normal copy and then Backwards paste would be available on the right click menu.

This, in my opinion, could be very useful for copying for example a long arpeggio, or if you have fluctuations in the reso of the filter.

what do you think?
Quote from: "KrazyKatz"Yah, It reminds me of MAD magazine where the farm guys are playing music on a broom with string, a clothes cleaner, a jug until the angry house wife comes and takes all her cleaning stuff.

Saga Musix

this would indeed save a lot of work in some cases...
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

I'm probably just stupid, but can anyone explain to me what a backwards paste is?
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

anboi

i think backwards paste means you copy a piece of pattern data to the clipboard then click backwards paste and it will paste the pattern data in reverse order from where you select.
this is a pretty good idea, i think i'd use it fairly often. i sometimes like to think of modplugs various pattern modifying operations (copy, paste, cut, expand, contract, insert) as basic operations with which you can perform others. with backwards paste it's not necessarily vital but it is useful and it takes a very long time to recreate a pattern backwards using the normal operations available.

Snu

an interesting idea, i probably wouldnt use it much, but interesting.  one thing tho, i think it should be 'reverse selection' instead- ie, it would be applied to a selected segment as the other modifiers are (transpose, expand/grow, amplify, change instrument).

Saga Musix

As the context menu in the patterns is already pretty filled with useful stuff, i'd think about a sub menu for less used functions, f.e. a "Paste Special" menu for different paste functions.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

anboi

yes! good points both jojo and snu, i fully agree. i'm not sure modplug has enough functions for it to get too cluttered yet but there probably is some tidying and subdividing that could be done. i guess it depends on frequency of use where things should be placed. (although with shortcuts for everything then this shouldn't matter to a lot of people).
and yes, reverse selection would be more consistent and can be used in equivalent ways to a reverse paste anyway.

aGIANTpupafish

^^ good idea.  i never thought of that but it could make it much easier.

thanks for the input guys.  surely this wouldnt be too difficult to impliment?
Quote from: "KrazyKatz"Yah, It reminds me of MAD magazine where the farm guys are playing music on a broom with string, a clothes cleaner, a jug until the angry house wife comes and takes all her cleaning stuff.

BooT-SectoR-ViruZ

i'd also like to see this coming
10 years on ModPlug... f#cking hell...

Soundcloud for B-S-V | Soundcloud for DX4-100 | Bandcamp for B-S-V

Really Weird Person

I guess that the shortcut for that would be arcInsert (since Insert is paste) :lol: The idea sounds similar to something that I had mentioned called Invert Selection (or something to that effect). It is where you take a selection and it flips itself so that the bottom becomes the top and the top becomes the bottom.