Okay, this is just getting ridiculous!

Started by Asharin, March 05, 2008, 10:57:07

Previous topic - Next topic

LPChip

Long time no see PPH :) Good to see you back. :)

I agree with you on one end, but on the other, I disagree.

It matters how you lost your inspiration. Because if it were because you did too many projects, then doing projects alone certainly won't help.

Perhaps figuring out how it formed is the first step. If you slowly got less idea's and at a certain moment just dried out, then change.

If it was more abrupt, then perhaps focus on specific idea's that can drive you through the process. (even stopping entirelly for a longer period of time can help with that)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

dBlues

My advice is, try discovering something completely different. E.g. if you are into Doom Metal, try composing some peacefule ambient electronica... just dont tell anybody ;)

And, if your software feels uninspiring, try different one. Using cubase is a total inspirational suicide for me... I need more fluency. Although many people do like Cubase very much, this is only my opinion so no offence to them.
Strive for excellence, not perfection.

Asharin

Quote from: "dBlues"My advice is, try discovering something completely different. E.g. if you are into Doom Metal, try composing some peacefule ambient electronica... just dont tell anybody ;)

And, if your software feels uninspiring, try different one. Using cubase is a total inspirational suicide for me... I need more fluency. Although many people do like Cubase very much, this is only my opinion so no offence to them.
It's funny you should say this, but I did the very thing. I started making a track using reaper as the main tool (normally I just use reaper for mixing a finished mpt track - exported mpt tracks as wav files)
The piece I am working on has the potential to be the best I have ever done, perhaps MPT was starting to restrict me?
That said, I still used MPT for making the drumbeats for it, so MPT still had a hand in the proccess.
Three cheers for the dry spot finally being over!
I am Dyslexic of Borg, resemblance is fertile, your ass will be laminated.

KrazyKatz

Way to go!

Don't drop Modplug too quickly... you'll eventually come back to it and re-realize why it's the best composing software in the galaxy ;).
Sonic Brilliance Studios
http://www.sonicbrilliance.com

LPChip

Quote from: "KrazyKatz"Way to go!

Don't drop Modplug too quickly... you'll eventually come back to it and re-realize why it's the best composing software in the galaxy ;).

Hahaha, I've so been down that road! And its so true! :D
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Asharin

Quote from: "KrazyKatz"Way to go!

Oh no, haven't dropped it, as I said, I used to for making the drum beats, it's great for that. I've used modplug since before it went open source, I'm too set in my ways to drop it totally, but I have to say, using reaper as the main tool was rather eye opening. Much easier to do some things in it than modplug.
I am Dyslexic of Borg, resemblance is fertile, your ass will be laminated.

Sam_Zen

Well, I must admit that it's more than a year ago of making a complete composition with MPT.
Which doesn't mean that I've dropped it, I've used it in almost every work in that period, but for other purposes.

Next to the live playing thing, but it's also a great tool to construct a phrase of sounds, a short sequence, etc.
Like Asharin's example of the drum beat. But it could also mean the making of some soundscape.

These things depend on the kind of composition I'm planning to make, which defines the tools to use and for what.