Main Menu

xm2mod?

Started by FlyerXL, December 14, 2005, 13:49:58

Previous topic - Next topic

FlyerXL

I have some xm files I want to convert to mod - is there a way to do this with OpenMPT? If not, why not? I opened the xm files in OpenMPT to see if I could save it out in a different format but that doesn't seem to be possible. Is there any other way I can do this?

rewbs

Quote from: "FlyerXL"I have some xm files I want to convert to mod - is there a way to do this with OpenMPT? If not, why not? I opened the xm files in OpenMPT to see if I could save it out in a different format but that doesn't seem to be possible. Is there any other way I can do this?

Go to song propeties in the general tab and change the module type, then save.
Note that MOD is a much more restricted format than XM - you will lose a lot of XM specific stuff.  May I ask why you need to do this conversion? perhaps there's another way to achieve what you want.

LPChip

Yeah, Like Rewbs said.

Because of the heavilly restrictions in the mod file, I'd recommend using mod files that were written as mod files instead of xm files, or make your own mod file from scratch.

There's a high chance that most of the dynamics will be lost and it can easilly be that notes are played with the wrong toneheight (creating off-key notes) and they do have a start but no end (because mod doesn't support note-off, but only note-cut.)

You might have alot more work on the editing afterwards than it will gain you eventually.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Sam_Zen

Another thing :
With the MOD-format the speed-codes have to be declared as codes at the start of the file.
Plus the fact that channels will be represented default as L-R-R-L-L-R-R-L-L etc.