Tutorial: How to begin making a song (for newbees)

Started by LPChip, October 28, 2007, 22:17:48

Previous topic - Next topic

LPChip

I've made a page on the xwiki that shows how to make a new song, step by step, explaining a few of the more advanced functions, such as copy/paste, row spacing, octave, but also how to write a drum pattern, bassline and melody.

It should get every new person into tracking really easy.

You can read about it here.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Sam_Zen

Sam_Zen

PabloLuna aka Alpharomeo81 has made a tutorial as well. To be downloaded here

LoNote

The demo song entitled GOODEX has patterns of many different lengths.  Pattern 0 is 24 steps, pattern 2 is 53 steps, pattern 5 is 22 steps, etc.
 I see that the default length for a pattern is 64 steps.  How do I shorten, or otherwise change, the pattern length? If GOODEX is any indication, I assume it can be done.

älskling

Just click on the pattern number right to the left of the channel numbers in the pattern editor.

EDIT: Click, not lick.

Saga Musix

Or click the icon with the question mark above your pattern.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

timtek

Thank you very much for taking the time to write this tutorial. This is my first time using a tracker and you really helped me get a good grasp on how it works.

LPChip

Quote from: "timtek"Thank you very much for taking the time to write this tutorial. This is my first time using a tracker and you really helped me get a good grasp on how it works.

You're welcome. :)
Feel free to ask more questions here on the forum when you encounter them. Thats why this forum exists. :)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

AdTheRat

Great tutorial and catchy tune, on loop right now while I type this out! I've made two changes to the wiki and need to point it out. One was unvold to unfold, (you unfold a folder.. ) a better term to use maybe is expand, (you expand the menu selection)

The other thing was ~, OpenMPT 1.17 or my computer use a different key(I use UK Keyboard layout) for silence, (or Note cut is the term used as I found out in trying to find the correct key). Pressing ~ gave A#5 instead, added note to try ' if ~ input A#5 instead of ^^

Other then that, it was great :D

Saga Musix

Note that there are different keyboard mappings for different countries and also different mappings to emulate other trackers, so the information probably actually correct. if i memorize the US layout correctly, note cut should indeed be the ~ key.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

adrio

Can you tell how to use multi-channel?
I'm stuck.
Thx.

Saga Musix

Can you explain what you mean? There are several definitions of "multichannel", especially in the mod world.

adrio

I want to try the chord thing.
First thing that I must turn the multi-channel on.
How do I do that?

Saga Musix

shift+click on the channel headers (i.e. the area that reads "Channel 1", "Channel 2" and so on) to enable multichannel recording for this channel. repeat until you have enough channels for multichannel recording.

adrio

Quote from: "Jojo"shift+click on the channel headers (i.e. the area that reads "Channel 1", "Channel 2" and so on) to enable multichannel recording for this channel. repeat until you have enough channels for multichannel recording.

Thanks alot.
Hehe.

Nice to meet you.
I'm Adrio by The Way.
I'm from Indonesia.