ModPlug Plugin for FireFox?

Started by Apocalyptiq, September 02, 2007, 09:39:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Saga Musix

that's the problem... either it was on the TMA forums, TMA chat, or somewhere else :P
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Apocalyptiq

LPChip

Quote from: "Apocalyptiq"What is TMA? :)
The Mod Archive
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Sam_Zen

M$ has announced that the new IE version will be more compatible again with other browsers,
so there's still hope.

Apocalyptiq

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"M$ has announced that the new IE version will be more compatible again with other browsers
New version of plugin? When it will be available?

LPChip

Quote from: "Apocalyptiq"
Quote from: "Sam_Zen"M$ has announced that the new IE version will be more compatible again with other browsers
New version of plugin? When it will be available?

No, no new version of the plugin. Chances are slim that there ever will be a new version of that plugin.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Sam_Zen

Indeed. Maybe we should do a poll on the forum about how many people would want a further open-source
development. If it's substantial, then maybe we could send a petition to Olivier about it.

The MP Plugin is a Nutscape based one, and in the current situation such plugins are deliberately obstructed
to function by M$, so maybe this will be corrected again.

Sam_Zen

I'm running XP  and FireFox 3.5 and the plugin is still running fine.

Saga Musix

While it might "run" fine and you promote it alot that it "still works", I would beg you to calm down a bit with that. Not because the plugin doesn't make sense. But because it's now more than 12 years old. What does that mean? Well, the routines are terribly outdated. ModPlug played hardly any slightly complicated module (i.e. mods with a couple of effects) right back then. The engine is so old and buggy, it's just unbelievable. While this might not be obvious when playing very basic modules, it becomes very obvious once more than just your basic mod effects are involved. It's simply not worth using anymore, just like ModPlug Player.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Sam_Zen

I don't promote anything, and I'm aware of the fact, that it can only play the basic oldskool modules.

Saga Musix

Well, I meant "promote" in a sense that you are quite the only one "advertising" the plugin these days. And without giving a warning that the plugin fails on most modules, this can lead to a lot of confusing and disappointment.
It's a bit like saying that Win95 still works on modern computers - But that is really not a reason to still use it.

Sam_Zen

You've got a point about the lack of warning. I already warned about the plugin not being accepted by IE,
but I should have warned too about being not compatible with some modern modules, let alone VSTs.

Whether it's advertising or not, I just recommended to use the plugin specifically for some webpages I published.

Saga Musix

Quotebut I should have warned too about being not compatible with some modern modules, let alone VSTs.
What I'm trying to say the whole time that this does not only affect "modern" modules (whatever that may be). It does play many old tracks wrong, and that's a fact. Same goes for ModPlug Player.

Some nice examples: ftp://ftp.scene.org/mirrors/hornet/code/audio/docs/fmoddoc2.zip

Sam_Zen

QuoteIt does play many old tracks wrong, and that's a fact. Same goes for ModPlug Player.
Hm, I didn't know that. The zip was timed out, but I take your word for it.
Afaik I had no trouble with the playing, maybe because the modules were plain sample based MODs or XMs.
With 'modern' I meant modules made after ~2000, maybe containing newer codes.

Saga Musix

Neither Impulse Tracker nor FastTracker have been updated since then, so there can't be any new commands. You can trick the old modplug routines quite easily with many rather simple commands.