How to: automate FXparams (VSTi[out]->VSTfx[in])

Started by Nahkranoth, August 20, 2007, 07:29:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Nahkranoth

Full Version:
OpenMPT v1.17.02.48

Has the bug occured in previous versions? If yes, please specify version(s): I really don't know. Never tried this before

Description of the bug:
When output of some VSTi is routed to VST effect, it's not possible to automate effect's parameters through Zxx macros because your macro isn't remembered.

How often does it happen?:
Constantly

How to reproduce (step by step description):
1. Select a VSTi in FX1 slot
2. Select aVSTfx in FX2 slot
3. In FX1 mix settings choose Output to FX2
4. Modify macro SFn to Control plugin param..., then select effect (FX2) and parameter to automate, press OK
5. Open Zxx macros config window again and see your macro mapped to instrument's parameter. But MPT still shows that this macro is empty
6. You can see N/A in statusbar below pattern editor when you selecting active macro in effects column.

LPChip

Have you set the option to embed the Zxx information with the song?

I believe this a checkbox at the bottom of the Zxx page, and if not, then its located in the general tab->song properties.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

älskling

It's not really a bug, it's more of a not entirely obvious feature ;)

When you select effect in the Zxx macros config window, the plugins listed are only there for reference to help you select the right parameter. If you want to control parameter x of any plugin you can use the same macro.

So how do you select which plugin you want to control parameter x of if it's not what you select in the config? (no I'm not a mind reader, just a lucky guess). Well, the macros are sent to the active instrument in the channel you enter them, so just assign the effect in FX2 to an empty instrument, enter a note and instrument number and SF1 on the first row of the same channel you want to enter your Zxxs in and you're ready to go!

I hope this isn't a too cunfusing description, and if anyone knows of a better way then please share it.

Nahkranoth

QuoteLPChip: Have you set the option to embed the Zxx information with the song?
Yes, just checked - it is set by default.

2älskling: Damn, I should have figured it myself! It is really a reference :oops: But it's hard to get it, so some sort of FAQ would be really useful. Thank you, noble sir! Now things would get muuuch clearer :D So this topic may be closed, I think.

LPChip

Am turning this bug-submission into a howto for the technical forum. :)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs