How do I use the midi feature..step by step

Started by radstorm55, August 14, 2007, 03:08:09

Previous topic - Next topic

radstorm55

Hi all. I am sure we all know that MPT does umm something with midi.. I would like to know what though..I know it will load a midi..and even (or it appears to) play it in the pattern window, although I do not hear anything..I am assuming you need to load a library.. What exactly is it doing.. :?

is this something you load (import) then apply your own sams to replace the standard midi general instruments, then maybe export it as mp3, wave, etc??

Can somebody explain it step by step how I would use ir? Umm in layman terms..even pictures, video, and and :lol:
This World Belongs To You

Nahkranoth

First you can try to read this topic, maybe you'll not like midi in MPT at all.
http://forum.openmpt.org/index.php?topic=1555.0
But here's what you can do to hear midi in MPT (if you still can't hear anything after opening and playing, because midis from c:\windows\media are ok :wink:):
1. Click RMB on the soundbank tree on the left part of the window
2. Select: Add soundbank
3. Browse to c:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\gm.dls, now you should have GM.DLS in the tree list.
4. Now the fun part: open Instruments tab, select corresponding instrument in the soundbank (from the tree), and drag it to the envelope area (should be big black area) on the instruments tab.
5. Repeat this procedure for each instrument 8)

P.S. I had problems with timing in midis with relatively slow tempo, because each note is quantized to the grid (in pattern editor).
And as I can remember, not all midi effects are recognized by MPT and when you save your midi no effects are saved (volume, panning).
And saving midi is a real headache imo.
Have fun :wink: