Improved sample mapping

Started by dBlues, June 21, 2007, 21:45:16

Previous topic - Next topic

LPChip

Except for the fact that OpenMPT doesn't support multilayered instruments at all...
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

bvanoudtshoorn

I think that MPT is a tracker. What you're talking about is sampler-style stuff. If you really want to do this, take a look at something like Kontakt. MPT can't hope to compete with it in this area, so maybe we shouldn't even try... After all, they have a team of dedicated fulltime programmers and hundreds of thousands of dollars to play with.

dBlues

Quote from: "bvanoudtshoorn"I think that MPT is a tracker. What you're talking about is sampler-style stuff. If you really want to do this, take a look at something like Kontakt. MPT can't hope to compete with it in this area, so maybe we shouldn't even try... After all, they have a team of dedicated fulltime programmers and hundreds of thousands of dollars to play with.

Yeah, ok maybe. I would like to hear what the devs think also. But its just an idea. Anyway, the sample mapping needs fixing.

Anyway, Modplug is just great and I use it as my main production tool - its never too often to thank the devs for this great work they do :)
Strive for excellence, not perfection.

Relabsoluness

Quote from: "dBlues"Yeah, ok maybe. I would like to hear what the devs think also. But its just an idea. Anyway, the sample mapping needs fixing.
The sample mapping implementation is certainly not the best part of MPT (the sample map dialog in particular), but there are bugs to be fixed and lots of other useful new features and improvements to implement. While I find new sample mapping quite interesting item in TODO-list, given my preferences, time and skills, I don't think there will be new sample mapping in the near future unless (new) active devs arise to implement it.

Harbinger

I like the idea of being to drag-and-drop the sample to an instrument, and then to a spot on the keyboard. The key setup should really have its own tab/window. It would be neat to be able edit the sample data (esp. the loop settings), and the instrument (esp. its tuning), and the key assignment all on one tab. Different file types would have different layouts, but it seems like it would be easy to implement; we can do everything as far as the functions -- we just hafta organize into a better interface. 8)