1.17.02.47 Dropped notes in Kontakt2

Started by bvanoudtshoorn, June 19, 2007, 04:33:29

Previous topic - Next topic

bvanoudtshoorn

Full Version:
OpenMPT v1.17.02.47

Has the bug occured in previous versions? If yes, please specify version(s): (This option is optional, and doesn't need research. But in case you know...)
It doesn't occur in .28 at all, so I'm using that at the moment.

Description of the bug:
When using Kontakt2 (wrapped in Chainer, because MPT doesn't support Kontakt2 natively), there are large sections of dropped notes. It isn't individual notes dropping out: the entire output from Kontakt2 vanishes for a time. Needless to say, this is quite annoying...

How often does it happen?:
Randomly.

How to reproduce (step by step description):
1. Write a track using Kontakt2 wrapped in Chainer.
2. Press Play.
3. Let it play for a while, and sections will start dropping out.

bvanoudtshoorn

OK, I just updated Kontakt (and MPT!) and now Kontakt is telling me that it doesn't have "Memory locking", and wants admin privileges... I do have admin privileges, needless to say. This is when I try to run it straight from MPT (which still just freezes it), and when I run it from within Chainer.

The dropped notes are the worst the first time I load and play through the module: after that, it seems to get a bit better. I'm assuming that this is because Kontakt's had a chance to load up all the buffered stuff and grab it somehow, but the first play through still has lots of dropped notes, even when I tell it to preload 320KB of prebuffer and use as much RAM as it wants...

Edit: I managed to alleviate the problem somewhat by forcing Kontakt to never kill voices. However, I'm still using an old version of mpt: I can't use the newest one without all sorts of dropouts.

bvanoudtshoorn

Edit: Spoke too soon. Although Kontakt can now be opened, and can make sounds, it chews up all the processor, and gets really crackly, really quickly. :( Same instrument in Kontakt under chainer => hardly any CPU, and perfect sound.

So I'll keep using Chainer for the time being. :)

LPChip

Hey Barry,

Do you still have this issue today, or can we close this bug?
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Harbinger

I will assume this bug is still present, so i will write it up in the "Known Issues" chapter in the OHM.

Saga Musix

I don't know. Does anybody have Kontakt2?
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

bvanoudtshoorn

I do, but not installed at the moment. Kontakt 4 is the current version, and I haven't had any issues with it (inside Chainer). Nor did I have any issues with K3 (also inside Chainer).

Saga Musix

I have recently been testing the Kontakt 5 demo with OpenMPT and after a few quick tests, I couldn't find it to drop any notes, or to behave otherwise instable. And I'm actually not using Chainer. I wonder how the latest versions of Kontakt run for people that actually use it - if they work without any problems, I guess we could close all bug reports related to Kontakt.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

bvanoudtshoorn

I'm using Kontakt, but I'm still using it within Chainer... I've not actually tried using it outside of Chainer for quite a while, because if I'm honest, I find Chainer's visual VST flow much simpler to manage than OpenMPT's. I've not had any problems for the past few years.

When I get a chance, I'll certainly take a look at running Kontakt (4) "on the metal", as it were, and let you know if I run into any issues.

Saga Musix

I'll close this one as it seems unlikely that it's still relevant. I suppose the plugin might have been dropping notes due to excessive CPU load or something like that. There's really no reason why OpenMPT should be the culprit, since notes are being sent in a standard MIDI manner.