[DUPE] Swinging (in the rain! =P)

Started by bvanoudtshoorn, June 19, 2007, 04:29:53

Previous topic - Next topic

bvanoudtshoorn

I recently did some jazzier tracks with a bit of swing in them, and I must say that it isn't all that easy in MPT. The problem is that real swing isn't just changing everything into triplets (which you could mimic by having a crotchet, quarter note for Americans =), go for six instead of eight rows). Sticking SDx commands on every other note doesn't work, either: the result always sounds off, somehow. What a lot of systems allow you to do is set a "swing" factor: it'd be great to see this in mpt, as a dial (controllable by fx, too?)

Of course, this immediately brings in the problem that MPT will somehow have to know which rows to swing, which implies that it'll have to know the time signature of the track. I guess you could just have the option to swing an arbitrary number of rows, though.

It'd be great to pull up a track that's completely straight, and just twiddle a dial to swing it nicely. A little bit of swing (say 5%) adds life to tracks, especially pop rock ones.

Edit: Related item on the issue tracker: http://bugs.openmpt.org/view.php?id=506

LPChip

You can swing by using the chiptune technique of swinging.

Place an Axx every 2 rows, start with A6 then A2 or A3 (depening on how much swing you want) and then an A6 again, etc... (A6, A2, A6, A2, A6...)

Its perfectly for Jazz, and I used this technique for quite some time.

The same can be archieved using the SDx too btw.

On a speed of A6, place every 2nd row an SD2 and every 4th row an SD4. That shoul

so:

--- .. .. ...
--- .. .. SD2
--- .. .. ...
--- .. .. SD4

Something like that it was atleast.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

rewbs

I'd recommend using the modern tempo mode (set it in the song properties from the general tab) with a high tick resolution (e.g. assuming IT commands, A10 for 16 ticks per row or A0C for 12 ticks per row). This allows you to be very precise with SDx. I nearly always use 16 ticks per row so I can place notes down to a resolution of 1/16th of a row with SD1-SDF.

You can then set your swing with the tempo command (assuming IT commands, Txx). This way the swing doesn't impact the number of ticks per row, which can affect some effects.

Sam_Zen

Thanks rewbs, I wasn't aware of the relation between ticks per row and the resolution of the sample delay command.

Btw this also can be manually achieved by live playing notes while the pattern is running with the record button on.
If 'Automatic delay commands' is enabled in the setup, then MPT calculates the nearest SDx code.

bvanoudtshoorn

OK... I think I'll have to steer clear of changing the tempo so frequently, 'cos a lot of the plugs that I use are tempo-synced. But using the SDx commands properly could be useful... It might be a bit awkward, though, if I want to manipulate effects and plug params in the track: you can't really throw straight notes into a swung track. =)

I'll see if I can use this as a stopgap measure, though. Thanks for the tips - things should sound a bit better now. =) I still think that this would be really useful as a "swing factor" param for the whole track: it would make life a whole lot easier, IMHO.

Saga Musix

isn't the following methoed MUCH easier than putting an SDx effect on every note?

C-5 .. ... A04
... .. ... ...
... .. ... A08
... .. ... ...
... .. ... A04
... .. ... ...
... .. ... A08
... .. ... ...
... .. ... A04

you may also leave out the blank lines, depending on the speed.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

seventhson

Quote from: "Jojo"isn't the following methoed MUCH easier than putting an SDx effect on every note?

C-5 .. ... A04
... .. ... ...
... .. ... A08
... .. ... ...
... .. ... A04
... .. ... ...
... .. ... A08
... .. ... ...
... .. ... A04

you may also leave out the blank lines, depending on the speed.

It might be easier,but you lose control over the individual notes.
Also most plugins are synced to the tempo of the host meaning that they will not sound right. (delay/echo is a good example of this)

Saga Musix

individual notes? it's not very good to play one note with a "swing" and one without it! but you're right about the VST stuff, but i'm too oldschool to use modern tempo settings...
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

seventhson

Depends on what you're looking for,sometimes i like to add a little swing to the bassline but i don't want to add it (or have it played with the same amount of swing) to other elements.
I guess i'm too newschool to use outdated techniques.  :P

Sam_Zen

It's a timeless technique in jazz to play e.g. a 'walking bass' line a bit 'behind the beat'.

seventhson

I was talking about the A04 A08 tempochanges technique instead of using the SDx command.