Volume Column effect list?

Started by mrvegas, May 16, 2007, 22:30:47

Previous topic - Next topic

mrvegas

I was just wondering is someone could point me to a complete list of effects for the volume column (impulse tracker format).  I could not find one in the wiki (in fact it's on the to do list), and I couldn't even find one doing a google search on impulse tracker.

Thanks for the help.

Sam_Zen

mrvegas

Thanks once again.  You are an amazing source of tracker-related information.

I was hoping there was some way to "set" the volume in the volume column -- for example the same way the Mxy command works in the effects column, so I don't have to retype the volume for a series of notes.  I guess I'm just lazy.  I could always just interpolate the volume, I guess.

The impulse tracker sheet you provided is very, very useful.

Saga Musix

for that purpose, you can use the Default Volume of a sample.

Default Volume versus Global Volume (in case you did not know):
Default Volume is like a vxx effect. If you set the volume in the channel using vxx, it overrides the default volume. so if you have the DV at 0 and have a row like
C-5 01 v64 ...
it will still generate a note playing at volume 64.

Global Volume is a "mixing volume". It works like the Mxx command, so if you set the GV to 0, you won't hear a sound EVER. A GV of 32 will play all samples half as loud as normal.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

mrvegas

Jojo -- that's good information.  But what if I want to change the volume of a sample multiple times during a song?  For example, if I have a sample that plays a melody, and then fades into the background, and then maybe gets louder again later on.  Is there any way to do this from the volume column without retyping the volume command for each note?  (Say I want the sample to play at a certain volume for a period, then bring it up, then bring it back down?)  Essentially, is there an equivalent of the Mxy effect that can be done from the volume column?

This isn't real important to me -- it's just a question of a little less typing and leaving the effects column open for other things.  I was just curious if it was possible.

LPChip

Quote from: "mrvegas"Jojo -- that's good information.  But what if I want to change the volume of a sample multiple times during a song?  For example, if I have a sample that plays a melody, and then fades into the background, and then maybe gets louder again later on.  Is there any way to do this from the volume column without retyping the volume command for each note?  (Say I want the sample to play at a certain volume for a period, then bring it up, then bring it back down?)  Essentially, is there an equivalent of the Mxy effect that can be done from the volume column?

This isn't real important to me -- it's just a question of a little less typing and leaving the effects column open for other things.  I was just curious if it was possible.

You can always use the M effect on an empty row. It doesn't have to be on the row that the sample is on, but if you don't and the sample is playing, you will hear it.

You can also create several copies of that sample with each different volumes, or you can use different channels with each their different volumes. When you want to change the volume, mute the sample in one channel, and continue it on the next.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

or create different Instruments shraing the same sample. instruments have a global volume, too.
you can also write

C-5 01 v16 ...
C-5 .. ... ...
C-5 .. ... ...
C-5 .. ... ...

instead of

C-5 01 v16 ...
C-5 01 v16 ...
C-5 01 v16 ...
C-5 01 v16 ...

if you leave the 2nd column (sample number) empty, the default volume won't be reset. but other sample settings won't be reset, too, but in most cases, that does not matter.

as you see, there are many solutions for one problem.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Sam_Zen

Nice emphasis by Jojo about the hierarchy of codes and settings. What overwrites what ? Regarding volume there are a lot of variables in the process.
One could use
C-5 01 v16 ...
but in the case of a xm-format, which I'm familiar with, I could also have used the effect column for the volume with :
C-5 01 ... Cxx

Snu

as jojo said, one great thing (tho sometimes annoying) about trackers is that there are so many different ways of doing one particular thing, its really just a matter of picking which one suits your situation best.
btw, in addition to the interpolate option, the amplify also works on samples with no volume set already. so, if you do an amplify 50% on a bunch of samples with nothing in the volume column, they will all be set to v32.

also, there's a problem with jojo's last method; omitting the instrument number with multi sample instrumens causes them to use the previous sample to play the new note... which results in very strange things.

load a multi sample instrument with a lot of samples, and do something like:
ModPlug Tracker  IT
|C-401...  
|C-6.....  
|C-601...  

and you'll see what i mean...

Saga Musix

Yes, that are the other settings i spoke of. that counts for settings like resonance / cutoff, too.

mrvegas

I didn't know I would set off such a long thread.  A lot of good information in here.  

I have found MPT to be one of the best music programs out there, period.  For me, the only problem is that I am not a long time tracker, so some things which are obvious to others are not so obvious to me.   (Psycle was the first tracker I used, then I moved to MPT.)

Thanks for the help.