Pattern Editor Font

Started by bvanoudtshoorn, May 01, 2007, 03:32:08

Previous topic - Next topic

bvanoudtshoorn

It occurred to me that it would be nice to be able to change the font used in the pattern editor. Really, you should be able to use any fixed-width font, like (ugh!) Courier or (better!) Bitstream Vera. This would have a couple of advantages:
  • The text could be anti-aliased (using subpixels on lcds) - this would make smaller font sizes more legible on lcd screens
  • The text could be any arbitrary size, instead of fixed sizes - this could let people with low resolutions (or people who enjoy squinting!) squeeze their font size down to see more of their track at once.
The only reason that I can see for using the bitmap custom font that mpt does at the moment is that it looks tracker-ish. Truth be told, though, mpt is now much more than just a tracker. Also, everything else in mpt looks fairly standard, but the pattern editor (which I'll admit _isn't_ a standard windows control!) does stick out a little...

As an extension of this, I've noticed that a lot of the fonts in mpt are just using "MS Sans Serif": these should really be linked through to the font specified in the theme currently in use, shouldn't they?

LPChip

I agree that it would be nice to have a different font, and your idea really appeals to me.

I can't wait to set the font to Small Fonts and use size 5. Still readable, but tiny enough to squeese 128 rows on a screen (hopefully :nuts:)

In the past, Rewbs told me that in order to change the font, I had to edit the bitmap. I did give it a go, but it was really hard, and therefor didn't yield a result. :(

If its possible, You'll certainly have my vote!
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

nice idea :) you could "write" using the desired font into your bitmap, slice it into pieces and replace them :) That would be maybe a solution, coz i think that just "printing" fonts onto the pattern is not possible (which may be wrong :D)
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.