OGG, MP3, Samples, Saving

Started by residentgrey, November 22, 2005, 14:39:38

Previous topic - Next topic

residentgrey

I was wondering if MPT supports using mp3 and ogg sounds as samples and also can save in ogg format now, because a couple tracks i have use ogg and mp3, it was a fasttracker song if that helps. I was wondering because i made some kickass sfx on ogg format, and would like to keep them that way.

Also does it support multiple vsti instances again? I have a sweet synth that has like 9 presets that would sound great together. I am using 1.17RC2 btw.
No two people are not on fire...AWWW!

Web and Graphic Design just for you!
I r GhostMech on there, forever scouting.

rewbs

Quote from: "residentgrey"I was wondering if MPT supports using mp3 and ogg sounds as samples
No, sorry - you'll have to decode them with an external app.

Quote from: "residentgrey"and also can save in ogg format now
No, but you can easily save as wav and encode to ogg when you're done with an external app.

Quote from: "residentgrey"i made some kickass sfx on ogg format, and would like to keep them that way.
Why? It is generally bad practice to use lossy compression on samples.
If I were you I would decode that one, and save all future samples directly to a lossless format.

Quote from: "residentgrey"Also does it support multiple vsti instances again? I have a sweet synth that has like 9 presets that would sound great together.
Yes, just load the second instance into another plugin slot. It should work just fine; if not it's a bug - let us know.
Note that some VSTis can play different presets simultaneously in a single instance. Such VSTis are called "multi-timbral". Try pointing multiple instruments set to different midi channels and midi presets to the same instance. If your plug is multi-timbral it will work.. if not just use multiple instances.

residentgrey

Wait i thought that OGG WAS lossless, and MP3 was!!?? now i am way confused... onthe vsti, thanks ill try that later today.

rewbs

Quote from: "residentgrey"Wait i thought that OGG WAS lossless, and MP3 was!!??
Well... Ogg is a bitstream container format, so could arguably contain anything, including losslessly compressed data, compressed for example with FLAC. But when people say Ogg they usually mean Ogg Vorbis, which is definitely lossy.

See:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ogg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vorbis

As a rule of thumb, anything that can get your wav down to 30% or less than the original size is bound to be lossy. :)

Rakib

So this means that support for mp3 and Vorbis files is something we hope will come soon?
^^

rewbs

Quote from: "Rakib"So this means that support for mp3 and Vorbis files is something we hope will come soon?
I personally do not plan to implement support for loading/saving samples to/from a lossly format.

residentgrey

I guess it was a bit lossy, but a lot better than mp3 that's for sure! i tried both and OGG sounded the closest, it just cut out a tiny fraction of the bass end and that really didnt matter with the sample because it was kinda high. i just want to have smaller sized songs with the same punch, so i can get it out ot more people.  And the person used the original tracker, not ModPlug.

Randilyn

Quote from: "residentgrey"and also can save in ogg format now

You should only save as MP3 or Ogg/Vorbis from a digital audio editor anyway, that way you can master your song first.  I've never used MPT's direct-to-MP3 feature.