Clip indicator.

Started by KrazyKatz, March 29, 2007, 14:43:36

Previous topic - Next topic

KrazyKatz

As of now you can see, when your volume levels go into the red, but you don't have an indicator to point out if its clipping or not.
Sonic Brilliance Studios
http://www.sonicbrilliance.com

Saga Musix

Indeed, that would be a nice idea!
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Sam_Zen

Are you talking about the VU-meters of the General Tab, or the ones of the Pattern Tab ?

Saga Musix

I guess the ones on the genereal tabs, because the VU-meters on the pattern tab show you *nothing*, really. They don't even show you how loud your sample is. I enabled the, though, coz so i know which channels are playing :D
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

KrazyKatz

Jojo answered your Question Mr. Zen.

Which leads me to bring an update to this Feature request - a clip indicator on the pattern page.
Sonic Brilliance Studios

Waxhead

Perhaps a bit out of topic but why not add scopes to the channels. This is one of the few things that I really miss from ProTracker. It was actually quite usefull.
Also it can perhaps be a idea to add a stereo-scope for to show both left and right channels summarized if possible.
What I have suggested before is to add a "faded" view of a waveform behind the notes in the editor ;) ... that would be hypercool because you can see the final rendering of the sound. Also it can be usefull.

Ok I realize that I was terrible off topic here... :) Perhaps we should make a summary of these requests since they are all related somehow I think.

Sam_Zen

2 Waxhead
The common factor is maybe the representation of volume levels, but scopes is off-topic indeed. Let's keep it simple, the subject is a clip-indicator. A flashing led (or two probably).

2 KrazyKatz
You mean a 'central' indicator on the pattern page, or a clip-indicator in each channel ?

KrazyKatz

2 Sam Zen: Central indicator on the pattern page.

Doesn't need to be special... just a sign to show that clipping has occurred.  I dont think we need VU meters on the pattern page. But a clip indicator, such a "C" that goes red when clipping occurs on the pattern page could prove useful.
Sonic Brilliance Studios

Sam_Zen

I support that.
I never did activate those channel VU-meters to be honest. Although I don't agree with Jojo, that they tell nothing.
Ok, 4 green leds, one yellow and one red. Quite a smaller resolution than the volume bars on the General page.
But with panorama indication. And as Jojo says, they tell something's going on.
Maybe the red one could be programmed to be the clip-indicator.

Saga Musix

yeah, totally forgot about the panorama ;) that's also why i enabled them - to show where and if a channel is playing ^^

Snu

on the pattern page? id expect it to be on the general tab, where the main vu meter is, and where the channel volume settings are...

Sam_Zen

You're right. Even with no single channel clipping, it doesn't guarantee no clipping at the main output. So the General page has priority here, but it doesn't have to be an 'or', it can also be implemented on the Pattern page as well. :)

OT
I'm starting to get the impression that there are differences among the authors in the use of MPT, regarding their 'base tab' while they are working. One group with the General page, another group with mainly the Pattern page in front.

Saga Musix

*bump* any chance that this could be implemented?

Relabsoluness

Quote from: "Jojo"*bump* any chance that this could be implemented?
Hopefully. At least I won't claim this feature request since the top of my todo-list is crowded with other things.

psishock

There are many free FFT spectrum analyzer VST-s that will do the job perfectly allready. Every instrument or plugin can be linked to them (put it in the FX100 slot and link every instrument or plugin to them, or just apply "master" in mix settings) so they will always measure db (plus the frequency range) even if only one channel is enabled or all of them at a moment.
Clipping, frequency ranges, db, volume changes and all the similar things can be monitored with one splendid VST.
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)