Note properties

Started by Sam_Zen, March 19, 2007, 04:16:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Sam_Zen

I'm really mad at myself. After all those years of tracking, I discovered just a few days ago, and also just by accident, the popup-window with the Note Properties, activated by a double-click in a note-field of a pattern.
All those years of typing in codes, field by field, while this was available ...
Values can be set with a slider, which means one can see the Min and the Max, no matter which numerical system.
While exploring this, I tried if hitting Enter on the note-field was equivalent to double-click there. It wasn't.
But it caused a nice function : It is used to directly select the 'Main Instrument' of the Pattern Tab. Quite handy.

While still playing with Note Properties onscreen, I tried a keyboard-key to see if a sound came up. It didn't, but instead it appeared that the keyboard situation was changed in a very specific way. Instead of three rows of qwerty-kb to write the notes, suddenly only
keys present in an octave were valid. So A - G. If the note under cursor is an A, and one repeats pressing the 'a'-key, the whole
range of A-keys is passing by, all octaves, plus A# or flat. Quite efficient.
It would be nice to have a button or a shortcut in this pane, to playback the actual setting of the note.

LPChip

Okay, so you've discovered something new... but what's your request?
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"It would be nice to have a button or a shortcut in this pane, to playback the actual setting of the note.
:?:  :?:  :?:  ;)
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Snu

you can set the shortcut to this already.
keyboard config, pattern editor - general category, and all the way down near the bottom, 'show note properties'.
by default its set to 'application'? i have no idea what key that is...

LPChip

Quote from: "Snu"you can set the shortcut to this already.
keyboard config, pattern editor - general category, and all the way down near the bottom, 'show note properties'.
by default its set to 'application'? i have no idea what key that is...

Application is the windows key I think...
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Sam_Zen

I can confirm this shortcut, but it's the objects-key in the middle between the windows key and Ctrl.
It's only valid in the pattern-field, somewhere else it performs normally as the equivalent of the right-click.

And my request is indeed :
It would be nice to have a 'play sound' function in the Note Properties pane, as already present in the sample and instrument tags, just to monitor how the particular settings of the note sounds.

Really Weird Person

What version of Modplug Tracker does Sam Zen have? I have used the program for quite some time, but I have never seen flats, only sharps.