one effect per channel? and controlling an effect?

Started by data, February 25, 2007, 22:31:16

Previous topic - Next topic

data

hello,
new to modplug, i see we can use vst effects on channels, is it possible to use more than one vst effect on one channel? , so far the only way im seeing is maybe load some chainer vst , any help?

other thing and related to vst stuff too, well this one isn?t that important cus im planning to use mostly samples, but i see the mention to vst instruments when i click open plugin, theres a vsti (instrument) folder , i can loaded but i don?t see a way to use it in the mptracker version 1.6,
in the open sourrce v1.7 i see how we can use them (just wondering if we can use them on v1.6 too)

thanks.

LPChip

You can use several plugins for one channel without using a chainer.

Here's a small tutorial to do so:

Go to the general tab
On the bottom of the screen with effects, select FX slot 1. Put an effect in it.

Select FX slot 2. Put another effect in slot 2.

Select slot 1 again. On the right, you see output. Set this to FX2.

If you've done it right, you've created a chain of 2 effects. You can then assign FX slot 1 to a channel or instrument and it will set the chain to that channel/instrument.

Do note: you can only route to an FX slot that has a higher number than the current slot. So if you are on FX 6, you can only route to 7 and higher, but not 5 and lower. Also, in order to see that slot in the list, a plugin must be loaded first.

It doesn't matter if the plugin is an effect or instrument, but only the first item in the chain will get midi information send to, so putting an instrument in a later slot than the 1st of your chain (doesn't have to be fx1) will most likelly not work.

Example of an instrument chain:

FX10 - Crystal VSTi > output to FX11
FX11 - Parametric EQ > output to FX12
FX12 - Compressor > output to FX13
FX13 - Reverb > (default setting: output to master)

Instrument 4:
Output to FX10, Midi ch 1, samples: none.

To answer your second question:

It is possible in MPT 1.16, but its highly recommended to switch to atleast 1.17 RC2 as the VST(i) support is so much better in these versions.

in 1.16 you'll have to do it manually.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

data

well this is really good news to me! thanks you for the time you spend replying me!
thanks.

LPChip

"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

data

hello again,
i have this doubt, can one somehow automate vst parameters in modplug? ,
i saw a param editor on v1.7 rc2 but i guess is just for the tracker effects..
thanks.

LPChip

You can use the effects Z and \ to control a plugin's setting.

data

i was just  founding myself the zxx (macroconfiguration) and thinking that
maybe is was that.
thanks! good to know i can control a plugin param ..

kit beats

I'm startin to like this..can someone tell me what *.eqs files are and iff i can use them in MP, and ofcourse how :nuts:
"get the piece sounding pristine." - KrazyKats
..Like this one, definatly got the Sam Zen
individuality in it... - Asharin

Sam_Zen

2 Samplekit
Is this extension relevant here ?

2 LPChip
As usual, a crystal clear explanation. Thanks. A big step for me forwards to start using plugins.

LPChip

kit beats

i tought i donwloaded a vst : Electri-Q LK_Harmony

but it's a *.eqs file..

LPChip

Quote from: "Samplekit"i tought i donwloaded a vst : Electri-Q LK_Harmony

but it's a *.eqs file..

That sounds like a data file for the Electri-Q VST.

kit beats

Quote from: "LPChip"
Quote from: "Samplekit"i tought i donwloaded a vst : Electri-Q LK_Harmony

but it's a *.eqs file..

That sounds like a data file for the Electri-Q VST.

Oh dus hebik niksaan, alsje die wilt downen is het niet de hele versie.

Sam_Zen

I will translate this :
Oh so it'sof nouse, ifyou want to download it, it is not the whole version.

LPChip

Indeed, its not.

VST(i) plugins always contain the extention .dll.