[COMPO] The MODPlug Tracker Compo 2007

Started by LPChip, January 09, 2007, 19:29:04

Previous topic - Next topic

LPChip

Quote from: "Waxhead"
Quote from: "LPChip"I'm not really sure if I should take that as a compliment or not
You should! It's good because it have quality sounds but it sucks because of the arrangement of the samples = very hard to work with. Good job chip!

"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Waxhead

Quote from: "LPChip"
Quote from: "Waxhead"
Quote from: "LPChip"I'm not really sure if I should take that as a compliment or not
You should! It's good because it have quality sounds but it sucks because of the arrangement of the samples = very hard to work with. Good job chip!

...It should however be noted that if I loose the compo I will blame your for providing crappy samples  ;D

LPChip

Well, I don't care on that one... For my part, you blame it on the queen of England.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

SoundCrafter

So, uh looking like I won't make this one. I've been invited to play a (currently uncompleted) song at my next school dance...so things could get ugly. I'll take at stab at it, still, though.
---Formerly known as ---DjBj---. changed names for lots of reasons.
BooT-SectoR-ViruZ is the new Skaven and the whole world'z goin' to Hell.
Lowpass filter! Perform a generic type of dodge!!! :lol:
Everyone should get on this forum's chatroom RIGHT NOW...still not sure why, though.

CrazyAznGamer

I'm publicly announcing I'm done with all 8:19 of my song, so you know I'm still in this ;D

...It sucks having dialup. I'll probably use my school computer for uploading... And if anybody doesn't mind, when it's uploaded, switch my old samplepack out for one of the updated ones? :P

Anyways, these samples are pretty crap to work with D: . I'm amazed I actually got that much song out of those samples.

The drum loops are cool once you get used to them though. That's good, I guess. For me. :D

It's a personal triumph for me (finishing the damn song, I mean. Whether it's good or bad, well, I don't think I can tell right now :P)

Somebody should use this compo as an example of how you can squeeze the last ounce of use from samples ;)
They should also use it as an example of samplepacks that will kill you. :P

OT: Soundcrafter, you got a gig at your school? What/who are you performing with?

LPChip

Can you wait with uploading till I have the page ready?

apple-joe

I made the pack knowing that probably no one would really like it, but then again, its the challenge to be able to do something with it. :)

Yeah. I hope you don't have a frame in which you imagine potential solutions regarding the samples (and credit basically those ideas/methods of interpretting the samples), because then I've probably jumped far out of that frame already, heh heh.

LPChip

Quote from: "apple-joe"
I made the pack knowing that probably no one would really like it, but then again, its the challenge to be able to do something with it. :)

Yeah. I hope you don't have a frame in which you imagine potential solutions regarding the samples (and credit basically those ideas/methods of interpretting the samples), because then I've probably jumped far out of that frame already, heh heh.

That depends on what you did. As long as you didn't changed the samples itself (except for using the other pack, and whatever was asked here) you should be able to get nice results :) I actually know what you can do so if you do what I think you did, then it'll be a great surprise for everyone. :)

apple-joe

I did not edit any of the samples, I meant how I used them in the compositional context, yeah. I adjusted the Instruments secyion however, but as far as I remember, that was allowed.

LPChip

Quote from: "apple-joe"I did not edit any of the samples, I meant how I used them in the compositional context, yeah. I adjusted the Instruments secyion however, but as far as I remember, that was allowed.

Then I can only say that I'm curious for your entry.

Since there will be an upload script (which I'm writing at this very moment) I will be able to download the songs before anyone else can, so I can see who didn't followed the rules so they can get a second chance.

SoundCrafter

QuoteOT: Soundcrafter, you got a gig at your school? What/who are you performing with?

OT ALERT:That I did...maybe. It seems that thehead of the student council got word of my writing abilities. So if I'm lucky, and the rest of said student council likes it, one of my songs (a new trance piece called Broken Theories) will be played, and some slight acknowledgement given to me...hopefully. Unfortunately I've hit a burnout on the song. Gotta wait a couple days. Maybe I'll try this compo after all.
---Formerly known as ---DjBj---. changed names for lots of reasons.
BooT-SectoR-ViruZ is the new Skaven and the whole world'z goin' to Hell.
Lowpass filter! Perform a generic type of dodge!!! :lol:
Everyone should get on this forum's chatroom RIGHT NOW...still not sure why, though.

LPChip

I've finished the upload script! :D

UPLOAD your entry here:
http://upload.lpchip.com/mpcompo/index.php
username: mpcompo
password: upload
Note: after uploading you won't be able to download/remove your entry.

Sam_Zen

I'm done.

Upload comments :
A bit fuzzy. First I discovered after several minutes (uploading is always slower than downloading) that I should browse a file on the local system, instead of a copy on another net-server (my archive). (But this could also have been due to the second hinder).
I made an XM-file, and at the end of again several minutes I got the message that only ZIP or RAR is convenient.
After that conversion, it succeeded.

LPChip

Yeah, my bad... Forgot to mention: only .zip or .rar are allowed to upload and you must browse to the file on your HD. :)

LPChip

So far 2 entries have been submitted, and I have to say that this compo looks promising.

The 2 entries are great. A bit big... approx. 8 mb each... Damn, who made huge samplepack anyway?

Judging will become really difficult, thats for sure. They aren't state of the art songs, but thats not possible. For what is possible, this is great stuff.

Don't feel all washed away though, I'm sure you can still make a great entry that probably beats all others. :)

Great job guys!

EDIT: oh bytheway, you cannot hear the rest of the entries even after you've submitted yours. The only reason why I listen to the songs, is to make sure everyone understoot the rules and no one crossed the line. If it would happen that you did anyway, you'll get one chance to fix your entry.