[COMPO] The MODPlug Tracker Compo 2007

Started by LPChip, January 09, 2007, 19:29:04

Previous topic - Next topic

LPChip

LINK to original topic with proposal: http://forum.openmpt.org/index.php?topic=1191.0

DOWNLOAD The samplepack here: http://lpchip.com/sharing/MPTC_2007.rar (3.70 MB)

DOWNLOAD To the votepack here: http://files.lpchip.com/compos/mpcompo2007/VOTE%20PACK.zip (7 MB)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

And the results... :)

Pt. Artist
38 Waxhead
32 CrazyAznGamer
31 Xaimus
20 Georg
20 Sam_Zen
17 tvdude
10 LPChip

Congrats Waxhead! :) A deserved win I'd say.

Song Comments:

Song1-gravolution.xm (2nd place)

• Sad and unharmonic start but picks up later. Great drums!
  • Nice variations and techniques used.
  • Started promising, but halfway it seemed like a second song started, so it lost some cohesion.
  • nice beats and atmos. good use of volume and filters. some parts were great. riff-samples were usually below average.
  • Neat
  • Excellent song.  Stylish and well writtin.
  • FROM ARTIST: Long and crappy crap.
Song2-Sam_Zen - scattered_flow.xm (Shared 4th place)

• Supercool start!!! (nice phazing), but too boring.
  • I'm not a big fan or experimentalism. Melodic vibe fixes enough though.
  • Opening and ornaments nice, needs moar percussion variations.
  • good beats, but you lose points for using stock "unchopped" loops. better use of volume cmds and filters would help too. good use of smaples throughout.
  • alright
  • Excellent beginning.  Great composition for the opening credits of an espionage movie.
  • FROM ARTIST: Too simple and definetely wrong tempo.
Song3-The MODPlug Tracker Compo 2007 the ps project.it (6th place)

• Good rythm. A bit monotome tough
  • I miss a twistpoint where the song changes in a different direction.
  • Less predictability would be nice.
  • Good, compact song, lacking surprise a bit.
  • not very creative use of samples. GOOD atmos. good buildup but the mid to end part is not very good.
  • Boring.  :(
  • FROM ARTIST: Super boring.  No zxx used since the moron who wrote it read the rules wrong.  Composer should be shot on sight.
Song4-Free Run.it (7th place)

• To "simple" and monotome
    enough.
  • Would be enjoyable sans other similar entries.
  • Nothing much to say. A decent exposition of the available material.
  • least creative of the lot, but solid tracking.
  • boring
  • Great beat!  A bit short.
  • FROM ARTIST: Was more made to test if the samples were good
Song5-The MODPlug Tracker Compo 2007.it (1st place)

• Great use of the possibilities! I really liked it.
  • Very nice percussion, and I love some of the lines in there.
  • Intimate track with a nice tune, having the proper length
  • most creative. oodles of funk. howls were too loud, and i'd like to see some panning done, but that's a minor offense. winner by a mile an 1/2
  • awesome
  • In a league of its own.  Amazing; very creative and stylish.  Great Knowledge of OMT.
  • FROM ARTIST: Short, unpolished and a crappy ending.
Song6-righto.it (3rd place)

• Sounds totaly different from the other contributions! Great "transformation"
  • I knew it was possible but still I'm amased on how well you did it. Not my style though?
  • I'll be lookin out for ya xaimus ;D No comment needed.
  • Sloppy start. Great, but in potential, because it's more some sketches than a drawing.
  • excellent "skeleton" of a track. if it wasn't hastily tracked maybe it would have some real meat. great potential. you get extra points for sounding nothing like the rest.
  • Also Atmospheric and moody.  Great ideas in the song, a bit disjointed though.
  • FROM ARTIST: crap
Song7-ECV.it (shared 4th place)

• Way to long and boring, Nice rythm tough!
  • Nice atmosphere, clicks are bad though.
  • Actually, I like the clicks, they add that surrealist experimentalist thing in there.... but meh.
  • Too long. The last part at lower speed would have been sufficient. Rest predictable with awful ticks.
  • cool
  • Atmospheric and moody.  Great beat.  I love it.  A bit long.
  • FROM ARTIST: work harder man.
Compo is over! :)

UPLOAD your entry here:
http://upload.lpchip.com/mpcompo/index.php
username: mpcompo
password: upload
Note: after uploading you won't be able to download/remove your entry.

Competition started: januari 10th
Competition deadline: februari 10th (unless everyone agrees to end it
earlier)

Handy Information:
The samplepack contains alot of long samples. In order to be able to track at 2 different speeds, you can use the following information:

Samples at C-5 using tempo 125 (T7D) for a chillout song or
Samples at D#5 using tempo 149 (T95) for a breakbeat song.

RULES:
===========
You can only use MODPlug Tracker

You'll get an .it file which you'll have to work with.

Sample pack will be provided through the .it file

You cannot add nor change the samples in any way.

There are no restrictions in the instruments at all.

No use of VST effects and neither VST Instruments. (that includes the DX
Media effects)

Sound Quality is NOT important.

Your submission cannot be a rendered mp3, but has to be your module.

Although I don't see a point in it, you are allowed to submit any kind of
module that MODPlug Tracker can open, but it won't get you extra points for
skills if you choose a hard format.
================

VOTING:
=======

Voting will be done publicly, which means: when everyone has heard the songs, they rate the songs from top to bottom, putting the best song on top, and the worst song on the bottom. I have made a song myself too (already, and used it to test the samplepack) Although I won't really participate in the compo, you'll have to judge that song in the same manner. Its just that if I end up 1st, the 2nd place wins. :)

You will have to use OpenMPT version RC2 or later (latest beta preferred) to vote.

Aside from putting each song in an ordered list, you also have to give a one line comment about that song. Can be something you liked, hated or both.

If you don't vote, you will be disqualified from the compo.
========

Once voting is done, we'll exchange experiences :)

Good luck everyone. Oh, and if I forgot something, or something is not clear, let me know.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Snu

so we cant chop the drumloops and sequences? :\
or add loop points to the samples?

also, can the comments be longer than one line? or only one line.

Waxhead

Ahem:

Post subject: [COMPO] The MODPlug Tracker Compo 2006 ???!!!

Sam_Zen

:) Already did some file-renaming anyway..

SoundCrafter

Quote from: "Snu"so we cant chop the drumloops and sequences? :\
or add loop points to the samples?

*cough* OFFSET! *coughcough*

EDIT: Although I would be upset to see looping banned

This is gonna be sweet. Having trouble with the RAR, though. I'll try it again. You also may want to make it clear (not sure if it is) that you need WinRar for the file.

DUB EDIT: I lied...apparently WinZip can handle rars now?
---Formerly known as ---DjBj---. changed names for lots of reasons.
BooT-SectoR-ViruZ is the new Skaven and the whole world'z goin' to Hell.
Lowpass filter! Perform a generic type of dodge!!! :lol:
Everyone should get on this forum's chatroom RIGHT NOW...still not sure why, though.

Sam_Zen

No need for WinRar, or whatsoever, with Total Commander running.

EDIT : There is a tick in the loop-transition of sample 7. Am I allowed to remove that ?

Snu

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"No need for WinRar, or whatsoever, with Total Commander running.

EDIT : There is a tick in the loop-transition of sample 7. Am I allowed to remove that ?

indeed, thats the biggest thing i was worried about... driving me nuts.
and yah, i already have messed with offset on the samples, soundcrafter, just chopping would make it a LOT easier...

LPChip

Sam_Zen has pointed out to me that indeed a few samples are badly looped. Kind of odd cus I was so sure they were set right.

I'll make you a deal.

Tell me what you want to be changed, and I'll say if its allowed.

I don't want the samples to be changed dramatically (like cutting of a part etc) but in this case, the loop that has a tick, is fine to be changed.

And yeah, it should be 2007 :P My bad :)

When I get home tonight, I'll loop through the file once more and make changes where necessary. You can then download a newer samplepack with the right changes made.

Sorry for these flaws...
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

LPChip

Quote from: "Snu"i already have messed with offset on the samples, soundcrafter, just chopping would make it a LOT easier...

It would, but thats not the point of this compo ;) Its this reason why its not allowed actually.

apple-joe

I disliked the type of samples; too 'fixed' for my liking. A bit like a few parts of the track is already composed. Not too important if this is for a couple of samples only, but in this case, it was so for almost all of them.

However, I did end up with a piece last night, I just have to see if I am able to polish or edit it so it reaches a level worth submitting.

LPChip

Quote from: "apple-joe"I disliked the type of samples; too 'fixed' for my liking. A bit like a few parts of the track is already composed. Not too important if this is for a couple of samples only, but in this case, it was so for almost all of them.

However, I did end up with a piece last night, I just have to see if I am able to polish or edit it so it reaches a level worth submitting.

Thats the entire point. Its very fixed. Can you break those boundaries and make something cool? Remember, everyone has the same samples and the same boundaries. See it as a learning experience ;)

Waxhead

I honestly like this fixed samples. Instead of focusing on what am I going to make now you can instead focus on what (on earth) can I do with theese samples.
I also agree that it's "too fixed" but hey I like that hehe ;) I bet everyone experienced with old Pro/Noise/Soundtracker modules will feel at home here hehe!

PS! Where do I submit the module ?!

apple-joe

Well, I did after all end up with a piece, as I wanted to consider it a challenge. Still, I will have a closer look at it in order to see if there are any possibillities for enhancing it so it ends up "send-able".

The problem was just that I didn't find, for instance, a simple bass note; there was a bass sample, but there was already the bass line as well. I wanted to create something myself. Anyway, after a few moments, I decided to have a go after all, and see if I could exceed my creativity level somehow, and create something. As mention, I did, but we'll see if it it gets submitted in the end.

LPChip

I'll make an upload script between now and this weekend (probably tomorrow) and give a link here for upload. :)

LPChip

The samplepack has been updated and where possible the clicks have been removed.

The first post has been updated aswell, but if you're too lazy to scroll up, then click here: http://lpchip.com/sharing/MPTC_2007.rar (3.70 MB)