[COMPO] The MODPlug Tracker Compo 2007

Started by LPChip, January 09, 2007, 19:29:04

Previous topic - Next topic

apple-joe

I have to do some great changes with my entry, after realizing it has crossed the line from "creative" to "amateur". I really want to submit something, however.

xaimus

Quote from: "apple-joe"I have to do some great changes with my entry, after realizing it has crossed the line from "creative" to "amateur". I really want to submit something, however.
OT: Check your PMs!

apple-joe

Ok, I always forget there is a PM option although it is somewhat visible.

Waxhead

Regarding the voting process I have an idea:

I suggest that we don't use the poll option in the forum. Let each contributor write something like this (using some strict rules etc...)

1. songname1 - I hate this song so much that I like it
2. songname2 - I like this song so much that I hate it
3. songname3 - Good bassline, everything else sucks
4. songname4 - Nice drums, but the melody stinks

Also I think that it would be a GREAT idea to "hide" the songs. E.g. name them under false name so that everyone don't know who composed it (who might affect the results). When voting is complete the real names and artists are revealed (perhaps it's a bit to late for that).

SoundCrafter

Or assign numbers to each one. Although I hardly think anyone here is going to vote for or against a particular person, not their song.
---Formerly known as ---DjBj---. changed names for lots of reasons.
BooT-SectoR-ViruZ is the new Skaven and the whole world'z goin' to Hell.
Lowpass filter! Perform a generic type of dodge!!! :lol:
Everyone should get on this forum's chatroom RIGHT NOW...still not sure why, though.

Waxhead

Quote from: "SoundCrafter"Or assign numbers to each one. Although I hardly think anyone here is going to vote for or against a particular person, not their song.

I don't think that either, but you never know ;)

Sam_Zen

I don't really fancy the voting of the authors for each other either, but I agreed with it. (At first I thought 'public voting' meant a poll among the other MPF visitors). Nevertheless, if so, on forehand, I will vote my own contribution as low as possible in the order.

LPChip

Voting indeed will result by putting all the entries in a list (not forum poll).

And you give one comment based on each entry. this way, every artist will get some feedback on what they did regarding where they've ended.

However, you will be able to see who made what song. I don't expect people to vote negative for someone, especially since we'll have an aftertalk to share experiences. No doubt a question will be raised of most vote someone high, while one person gives the worst vote possible.

But then again, if someone seems to be messing with the way they vote, we can always issue a penalty towards that person and issue a reward against the victim. (eg. -5 points from the voter +5 on the victim.)

But I don't think its necessary. In the worst case, I can disqualify someone.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Sam_Zen

Of course the author should be known. Of course a personal touch will play a role. But in a positive way, because then one knows the author's properties from earlier publications, can fit it in a certain context, and scale it more precisely in a dedicated range.
This is why compositional skills should prevail above the sound quality of the result.

georg

I'll join. But i warn you in advance that i may just decide to screw the compo, mangle the samples and create something for myself.

Thanks for the motivation though, those samples sound lovely.
I'll never make sword-chucks...
Update - 2013 I still havent made sword-chuks.
Update - 2021 What the hell are sword-chuks? :((

LPChip

Quote from: "georg"Thanks for the motivation though, those samples sound lovely.

You've just made me smile :D
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

georg

Quote from: "LPChip"
Quote from: "georg"Thanks for the motivation though, those samples sound lovely.

You've just made me smile :D

I've really enjoyed the pack. I think i'll have an entry for the compo. After a few hours i've already got 9 minutes of something audible goin' on (mostly due to slow tempo though). Boy i'm glad i found out about the compo. So glad, i'm not even goan gripe about NOT being allowed to chop up that drumloop to get hats n snares. Am i the only one who hates offseting the loop to get the hats? I can get the offset right so i allways get some click n pops, but nevermind that, cos i realised that if the loop gets out of sync (by adjusting the tempo by 1 or 2 points) those pops begin to sound like claps, snaps and other nice sonds that arent in the pack ;D

I like it like that now :nuts:
I'll never make sword-chucks...
Update - 2013 I still havent made sword-chuks.
Update - 2021 What the hell are sword-chuks? :((

LPChip

Februari 10th is the last day for submission, and we only have 4 entries.

I know that Georg might submit an entry, but I was wondering if there still are people working on an entry?

apple-joe

Well, I created an entry a few days after compo start. However, I started disliking it more and more for each day. I am going to have another go some time before Feb. 10th, and see if I come up with something better.

If not, I may try to alter the first piece.

Anyway, I wouldn't panic, you did after all say Feb. 10th was the deadline. I think there is a tendency of crossing the finish line just as the time is out. At least, I am that way some times.