What is a Chainer?

Started by LPChip, November 20, 2006, 08:53:44

Previous topic - Next topic

LPChip

Quote from: "Sam_Zen from topic 'Seeking the limits'"Since I'm running a set on 640 MHz, there's a simple limit to me : zero plugins.
But I like to know : What are Chainers ?

A chainer is a VST or VSTi plugin that allows you to load plugins in it to create a chain of plugins.

Eg. You add a VSTi Chainer, and insert several VSTi's, some VST's and link the VSTi to an instrument. Those VSTi's will play sound to the VST's as one single instrument, and you can save your entire chain as a preset in OpenMPT. (this is the main reason why I use a chainer)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

anboi

for those people like me who use directx plugins at all i can recommend vbffx4 - it chains 4 directx plugs in one slot and is extremely useful.

Sam_Zen

I see. A plugin which is not a source or a modulator, but more like a patchboard or a mixer, to connect different modules in a certain way, to create a single output again.

anboi

what chainer do you use LP? i'd never tried chaining vstis but if it plays the notes together then it could prove useful for making giant multi-synth patches.

LPChip

I actually bough Xlutop Chainer. It can store up to 100 slots per chain, but if required, you can insert a chainer VST inside a chain :P

It even has 10 busses, so you can route 1 audio stream to several busses, apply different effects, and then merge the two on a later stage.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

KrazyKatz

( Asks sheepishly :oops: ) What is a bus?
Sonic Brilliance Studios
http://www.sonicbrilliance.com

LPChip

Quote from: "KrazyKatz"( Asks sheepishly :oops: ) What is a bus?

A bus is like a channel. Its a fancy name in the mixing industry. See it as a pipeline, or channel, or stack, etc. Audio is being routed through a channel, and also to another channel, then these can be combined at a later stage to form a new etc...

bvanoudtshoorn

This might also help... I ripped the images explaining Xlutop Chainer from it's help file. ;)