using hardware synths in mpt

Started by seventhson, November 11, 2006, 19:47:23

Previous topic - Next topic

seventhson

Since a few days i'm in posession of a roland alpha juno 2 synth,and i've managed to get the midi stuff up and running in windows. (i have a cable wired from my soundcards midi out to the synths midi in)
Everything seems to be working fine,but i just can't figure out how to use it in mpt,basically what i want is to control the synth through mpt,so i'd sequence the note in mpt and the synth plays it.
Can anyone do me a huge favour and explain how to achieve this?

Snu

nice! i borrowed juno 2 a while back, loved it.
unfortunately, modplug cant do this directly, but you can use a vst plugin to send the notes out.
specifically, 'vst2midi' in the midibag plugins: http://www.tobybear.de/p_midibag.html
of course, there's always the option of sampling the sounds, which would give you more control over the sound, but with a quality loss of course (and no variable resonance or anything).

seventhson

Too bad it won't work directly,but a nice solution to try out so thanks  :D

speed-goddamn-focus

There's a VST plugin called VST2MID in the VSTNETMID suite in the MidiBag by Tobybear. This is the hyperlink that takes you there. I'm sure you'll figure the rest out when you've installed the plugin.

EDIT: too slow it seems, shouldn't post while watching weeds :)

seventhson

Seems to work indeed,but i'm experiencing some serious sync problems,is there anything i can do about that?

pafufta816

i get sync problems as well.  seems like modplug as a MIDI master for the clock speed isn't very steady.  lowering your buffer rate helps alot, but don't make it too low or else the tempo will become very inaccurate!

does anyone else know of a good VSTtoMIDI type plugin?  VST2MIDI works ok but i want something with more reliable MIDI clock speed and syncing.
www.myspace.com/consentualabuse
www.myspace.com/neongenesis816

LPChip

MODPlug just isn't good for such thing. The only alternative would be finding a VSTi version of the external synth. Most synths are available as VSTi too. True, it isn't as fun as having one in your rack and being able to feel it and such, but it works.

You could also try to tweak its response settings. I remember having fiddled with the VST2Midi plugin and got it to be good enough to use in my songs.

It is possible that this is soundcard dependend though, My Creative X-Fi Elite-Pro allows me to get down to 2ms latency without much difficulty.

I even used the stand-alone Midi2Net and Net2Midi to simultaniously play and receive together with xTr1m. We had a nice jam session with virtually no latency. Yes there was a small delay but it was small enough to not be of a problem.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Caliban

I used to use Impulse tracker and Screamtracker back in the day and am just getting back into some tracking again.
What I want to do is use modplug to output midi to Reason and my Yamaha CS1X. So basically using modplug as the tracker with both software and hardware synth.

Is this possible? I noticed some of the VST2MIDI plugins which im going to check out. Does anyone know if Reason allows Midi in via Re-wire? or another alternative?

Cheers

Saga Musix

You don't need VST2MID anymore, because OpenMPT ships with its own MIDI Input/Output plugin. OpenMPT does not support ReWire because it is incompatible with the ReWire license.
My suggestion would be to...

1. Use OpenMPT's MIDI Input/Output plugin to control the CS1x through your sound card's MIDI port (select the appropriate device from the drop-down list in the plugin GUI). Be sure that the CS1x's MIDI mode switch (on the back side) is set to the correct position (PC and MAC are the two wrong positions, IIRC).
2. Use MIDI Yoke to route MIDI to Reason using the same method.

For further information on the MIDI Input/Output plugin, take a look at the manual.

Also, this post is rather old, but...
Quote from: pafufta816 on March 26, 2007, 01:01:49
i get sync problems as well.  seems like modplug as a MIDI master for the clock speed isn't very steady.  lowering your buffer rate helps alot, but don't make it too low or else the tempo will become very inaccurate!
This problem is not specific to OpenMPT, you can even get that with professional-grade software. Using a small buffer (preferrably with ASIO) is always recommended, not just with MIDI.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.