Wow! OpenMPT Speeds Up

Started by jmkz, January 13, 2010, 16:37:48

Previous topic - Next topic

jmkz

Hello!

I was surprised with the latest svn build r464! When I save to wav, (generally I use a lot of VST on my songs) the speed wa increased by another 60 percent compared to te earlier versions like r440 or the 1.17.03.02! Thas's a very good by the developers  :D 8) thanks!

Saga Musix

I always wonder when people tell that the new version suddenly works better, faster, sounds better ("clearer") or whatever. I can assure you that nothing has been done to the render engine or the wav writer. None of us suddenly found the magical formula to increase render speed. It must be your computer. :P Or probably you switched from Debug to Release compile? Maybe you bought a new hard drive? New RAM? You changed some cache settings? You rendered a completely different track? I dunno, but it's certainly not our "fault".
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

Yeah, I also noticed a big speed increase! Don't change it Jojo! We want speed!!!
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

If you want speed, I'd recommend you to pay your local drug dealer a visit.

Geez, please stop it. You might make people even think that something changed... And then they come to the forums and complain that it's just as fast as before.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

psishock

This is ridiculous, i was sooo happy, but when compared the new and old versions, i found out that it has the exact same rendering speed. :(
Very disappoint, Jojo.

I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

jmkz

This time is not my computer. It's the same computer of nearly four years ago. 512MB RAM, 160GB HDD, integrated graphics (my MB is ASRock 775i65G), and the version I use is that you compile, because at this point I could not compile a "mptrack" :oops:  just compile the new required SounTouch (is really easy) and used it ...

PD: I'm not a programmer, I'm not a composer, I'm only a boy who discover Modplug Tracker in 2004 and since that year follows it's course...

Saga Musix

well, soundtouch itself is not part of the rendering process, so its influence is out of question. However, I do think that I've uploaded a debug build (which are slow) some weeks ago, that could have been r440. But apart from that: I can assure you that nothing has changed.

jmkz

I'm referring to the SoundTouch because is incopatible with the old version, even changing its name. So its *necessary* in order to run this build, otherwise has an error (ehm corrected) Yesterday I could not run OpenMPT whit the old SoundTouch, but now I can  :? Mmh.. Well weird things happen to me :\

Saga Musix

Yeah, soundtouch has to be recompiled.... Strange that it's suddenly required to be able to run mptrack.exe, though...

jmkz

Another thing that I forgot, is a little more inestability when handling VSTs, an strangely in contrast to previous versions, for example, opening with a song with the following VSTs 2x Synth1 VSTi, 2x and 1x AMVST Superwave P8, Analog Warfare 3, play some times and then will crash.

Saga Musix

Well sorry, but that is such a vague report that you cannot even tell if it's the fault of a change in the OpenMPT code. It can actually be completely unrelated to VSTs even.

Rakib

Please provide post under the bug report section with a case where this happen and can be reproduced.
^^

Really Weird Person

Speed is good indeed. The strange part:  I do not seem to find the new revision in the development corner. Perhaps it is located in a different area or I simply missed it.

jmkz

Jojo has in his website a build of the latest svn revision (when possible). Look here.
EDIT: You may also interested in this.

Saga Musix

Yeah, but please please please don't spread that link too far, since it's REALLY just test builds and they have been breaking many things in the past. So I really recommend you just to use them if you know what you do and accept the risk that modules might not save correctly anymore (yes, this happened several times before).