[electronic] electrock (mp3) adlib card

Started by uncloned, April 14, 2009, 01:07:38

Previous topic - Next topic

uncloned

Year: 1991

Album:
Adlib

Artist's description:
This is a short ditty composed on an Adlib card.

Thanks to Dos Box I was able to emulate and capture it.

Everything is from a two operator FM synthesizer chip.

It was the first soundcard available for the IBM PC compatibles.

Contributors:
Adlib Virtual Composer

DosBox 0.65

Inspiration:
FM synths are cool

http://clones.soonlabel.com/mp3/elecrock.mp3

psishock

oooo, i love those FM sounds so much Uncloned! It was a great flashback ^^, it's a pity it "died out".
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

uncloned

I agree - and I wish that Adlib had supported the 4 operator FM chips that came out later.

I always wanted a Yamaha DX-7 FM synth and couldn't afford one. This was the next best thing.

psishock

Yep the Yamaha DX-7 FM was really tempting to me 2. Luckily, Native Instruments made the "soul" of it to VSTi: FM7, which was later evolved to FM8, that i use 99% on my products. ^^ You just can't compare anything else to those crystal clear FM sounds that you can get by modulating those operators.
Of course, nowdays i use a lot more effects on those pure sounds, than people did in the "early years", but the idea is all the same.
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

Sam_Zen

Well, the 'first soundcard available' is of course a questionable thing. I used the Soundblaster Pro in those days.
Useful for tracking as well then..

The Yamaha DX-7 was indeed a product on a new level. Although I noticed that users mainly were hanging on the preset sounds.
Instead of exploring the 100 different setups in FM modulation of every sine configuration..

uncloned

the adlib card did predate the soundblaster, let alone the soundblaster pro.

Ablid had the soundcard market - but never developed anything until it was too late.

check out the wikipedia link.